Is it normal for a five year old to lie?

My grand daughter is five yrs old and she is always saying so in so pinched her or so in so hit her...like her brother...then she turns around and says so in so didn't really hit me or pinch me .....It has been awhile but I don't remember my kids doing this.

tracylyn245

Asked by tracylyn245 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• It's normal for kids of any age to lie. My 3 year old lies. You just have to work on correcting it and keep on her about it.
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 8:45 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My son is five and he tells stories all the time. He goes to his dads on the weekend and says the kids at school hit him and I know this is not true cause I have spoke with the teacher.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 8:45 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yes,Definately, they are seeing the world as how they want to and they don't see it as lieing.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• hey, my 3 year old does that. It's pretty normal for a child to figure out how lying works and experiment with it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• my kids did this from time to time, she is probably just trying to get attention. Just try to teach her about telling the truth. I let mine know they if they kept telling stories no one would believe them when they were hurt.
    chickychatter

Answer by chickychatter at 8:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Mine is 3 and does this. Gotta explain the difference between the truth and a lie, and why it is bad. It will work out!
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 8:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yes, it is normal for this age.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yes!
    And in other ways, too, like to make up fantastic stories and tell you they're true.

You can say "oh, really?! How did that make you feel when you were pinched? Sounds like you didn't like it. Did you talk to your friend about it? Boy I hope that doesn't happen again, it sounds like it hurt!"

or "Wow, really? I have never seen green fairies in the sink, did you be sure to say hi and warn them before turning on the water?" You can play along a little bit. You don't need to make things up for the child while playing along because they want to invent and convince you.

Saying "no that's not true" makes them feel unheard. I think giving the respect and listening is great. They want attention and this is a harmless way to do it. When it comes to things that do affect others (like the pinching) you can encourage the child to work out the problems (even though there is nothing literally).
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:36 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My son is 5,and yes he will tell stories. I can usually tell when he is not telling the trutth. I do however,make sure to let him know it is not nice to lie. He will tell me the truth soon afterwards...lol. I want him to always feel comfortable in knowing it is always best to tell the truth.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2010