Indoor Play Area at the Mall....Are you one to say something?

Today we took 2.5 yr old DS to the mall play area. I finished up shopping at a store while hunny watched him at the play area. I walk up and see these two little brats yelling in his face to get out. They couldn't have been more than 4-5ish. I yelled (loud as heck in there) to stop doing that to him after I didn't see any parents stepping in. My DH got him out of there but later told me those girls were bothering everyone. Where were their parents? Prob off shopping. Are you one to say something in this case or remove your child instead?

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 8:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• opps meant hubby not hunny. lol
    anxious1stimer

Comment by anxious1stimer (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• also wanted to ask do you all get annoyed as I when parents aren't watching their kids in similar situations or don't care if they r watching?
    anxious1stimer

Comment by anxious1stimer (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yeah I would say something people need to watch their kids you wouldnt believe some of the things I've seen parents let their kids do and not say anything its crazy.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 9:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I would say something too. Kids need to learn from someone that it's not acceptable to act like that.

Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I do speak up to the child that is acting out or being mean to my child and i also say something to the parents and YES i will go and track there lazy asses down and I do remove my child from the situation first. I will not allow my child to treat someone like that nor will i allow someone to treat my child like that . What it really comes down to is it really is the parents fault not the childs but if you don't teach your child to respect people and there space then they aren't gonna know right from wrong.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:06 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I would say something. I have had to say something to kids in a similar situation before. It annoys the hell out of me when parents leave their kids there and go shopping and the kids run wild, though it is worse when the parents are there and the kids run wild.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• If I notice that the kids are unsupervised I alert the Mall Security that there are abandon minors and that if security does not show up in the next 30 seconds I am calling the police. Have done so and have had the pleasure of embarrassing parents who drop their children under the age of 7 in the mall play area and expect other parents to watch their children. That does not work for me and I am more than happy to call them on the carpet and if needed have their children taken from them. After all abandonment is just that and should not be tolerated.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 9:09 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I have gotten into conflicts with other parents about this kind of stuff.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:09 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• That's bull crap. You can be sure that I would say something!
    matthew9_22

Answer by matthew9_22 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I would say something to the kids, obviously. And I would probably tell something to the parents if they were nearby, in a nice, non-confrontational way that might get through to them, not yelling or accusing, which would probably just make them defensive and give them a story to tell when they get back "there was this crazy lady- my kids weren't doing anything and she comes screaming..."

Anyway, I have 3 kids (1, 3 and 5) and I can guarantee you, there are many times I can only see the 1 year old for a little while. I watch her more and help her slide, while the older 2 play elsewhere. If they misbehave, I'd want other parents to tell them and then let me know! They never have, when I've seen them, but they're kids- sometimes things happen, and there are many reasons the parents may not notice. (giving them benefit of the doubt- they could be at Starbucks)
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2010