Can they ask you in family court if you are on food stamps?

I have filed for a child support modification since my ex is making a lot more money. I have also recenty had to apply for food stamps. I don't think I am doing anything wrong by getting them but I am a little embarressed and I know if my ex finds out I am on it, he will tell everyone he knows (many of whom I know too). Does anyone know if when you go to modify child support they are allowed to ask you if you are on public assistance? I have already filled out the paperwork and for the modification and it didn't ask but I was wondering if they ask when I get there. Also when you apply for fs, do they contact the other parent about it? They asked for his info but they said all they were doing is making sure he is paying child support.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't be embarrassed if they asked. Be upfront and honest about everything they ask about. If you ex wants everyone to know you're on food stamps your reply if they ask should be, "Yes, I am and my ex makes tons of money and does not support his kids whatsoever he constantly hides his income to get out of paying child support." Throw it back in his face make him the deadbeat father.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 9:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Your ex will be served papers saying you are seeking modification of your child support agreement.  He'll have to fill out his financial paper work too.  You will have to go to court, because he has the right, just as you do, to be heard by a judge.  I'm not sure about the court asking about the food stamps.  Be prepared for his attorney (if he brings one) to ask you.  Don't worry about it though. It shows that you can't feed your children with the support he is currently paying.  Plus, there is nothing wrong with using assistance.  You are a good Mom for providing for your family no matter how you have to do it. (This is how it's done in our state. The laws in your state might be different.)  Good luck!

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 9:35 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• they do not ask in fact Family court advised us to file for them while we waited for CS to be initiated...
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 10:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• btw they can not contact anyone not on the application even the other parent period it is confidential

4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 10:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I recently went through something very similar,it was very awkward because his new wife was sitting in the front row as his attorney asked me question after question,I was asked if I received any government assistance,and my reply was "no cash benefits",and they left it at that. Also,they will not tell your ex that you are on fs,they only want to know his financial contribution so they can assign the correct amount of benefits.
    jordan28

Answer by jordan28 at 11:06 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Thanks for all of your help. I know it's silly to be embaressed after allI, I am a single mom, going to school full time and I don't get much child support, most people prob assume I am on it anyway, if they even thought about it. I guess it's just I know if my ex found out he would tell everyone that we both know and it is kinda personal.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• They MIGHT ask you. Don't be embarrassed..you need it..you're going to school full-time.
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 1:13 AM on Nov. 7, 2010