Would you let your 5 year old son play football?

My son wants to play football next fall and his dad is against it. I see no problem with it. What would you do?

kmath

Asked by kmath at 9:09 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son was 5 when he played flag football (last year).
    He turned 6 in August and played tackle football this past Fall.

Our Pop Warner league says you have to be 5 by July 31st to play tackle football.

Honestly, at the 5, 6, 7 year old age - the coaches are very aware of making sure the kids are safe. Their helmets are padded more than professional football players! LOL They really want them to have FUN and learn the fundamentals of the game.

ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 7:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't let my 5, 15 or 50 year old son play. Too dangerous and way too many injuries.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 9:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Not at 5,no. As a junior high kid,yes,if its not tackle football

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• This is a discussion currently going on in my house too. My son is too young to play now, but we are still discussing it now. My husband played in High school. I have always said my child could decide. Then DH and I saw a show about football and brain injury. DH was first to say DS would not play. We are still talking about it.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• DS will play, and anything else he decides to do.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I wish my son could. He was always too big and tall for the sport. But now he is on the hs football team. He loves it. It is great to teach about self esteem and respecting yourself and others and being part of a team . I only wish my son could've joined sooner in life. It just teaches you how not to be so self conscious and and not so awkward about everything.....
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• It is probably flag football at this point. I would never discourage a kid from something they want to do. But my kids play ice hockey.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yes id let them play...
    Football has been around forever! He can learn great team skills & have lots of good memories..
    Yes accidents can happen.. But should we keep our kids off the playground as well -- you can break your neck falling off a swing too. :-)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:09 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My 3 year old starts ice hockey this weekend. So, I would let him play football, flag or tackle, if he wanted!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• DH has actually been talking about letting the kids join a youth rugby team in our area. So letting the kids join a football team would be wuite tame,lol.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 8:00 AM on Nov. 7, 2010