tag (reading toy - the pen and books that reads /sounds out words) -anyone have this?

i was considering this for xmas. ds is 5, circled it in a toy catalog. any consumer feedback appreciated. or suggestions of anything like this that is better.

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 9:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son has the Tag Reader and he loves it. Just don't forget the books that go with it. You will have to download the book on your Tag Reader pen. Only five will fit on it though and the website lets you know about your child's progress as he/she gets more used to it. When you decide to change the books, you can delete from the website and put another one onto it. It's pretty cool. But keep extra batteries on hand.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:16 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• We have the Leapster 2 for the 6 year old and the DidJ for our 8 year old. They got them last Christmas. We like them and the kids love them. You can get the games used on ebay for less than half price.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• DD got the Tag reader for her bday last year (3yo)... At 4yo she still loves using! And I think she will continue to use it for a few more years. I dont have 1 bad thing to say about it...
    On occasion she takes it out shopping to listen to the stories & I think every time she has dropped it from the buggy on accident & it still works..
    Last week for her bday she got the leapster explorer & loves that too! but ive seen her play with her tag still as well :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:06 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Never heard of it!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2010