Feeding Question

My daughter is almost 6 1/2 months old. She has been on jarred food for about 2 months now.

She currently drinks 25oz of formula, 2oz of juice mixed with 1oz of water.
She eats 2oz of fruit mixed with 2oz of oatmeal cereal for breakfast.
She eats 2oz of fruit and 2oz of veggies for lunch and dinner.
So 10oz of solids a day.

Is she getting enough or maybe to much?

Momma2Miranda

Asked by Momma2Miranda at 9:26 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not about taking her off of food, some babies like food more then others (have had a few myself), it's more about finding the best balance. Does she sleep through the night? what is a feeding schedule like? not how much but when?

Sadly though my 12 month old doesn't eat or drink that much....very different then my other fatty's lol
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:03 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• She is not getting the formula she needs - minimum for that age is 32 oz per day. She's not getting the nutrition she needs since she's not getting enough formula. The solids are not necessary nutrition - at this point, if they're preventing her from taking in more formula, they're a hinderance and you need to cut back on them. Solids before a year are just for practice - they are not necessary, and offer very little nutrition - they're a cheap filler like bread is for adults.
    Anonymous

• On average a baby that age should be eating 4-6 ounce of food a day with about 32 ounce of formula. Sounds like you are giving more solids and less formula. The baby still needs the formula, that is where the bulk of his/her nutrition comes from.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 9:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• She needs to somehow get more formula. I would skip the juice, maybe that will help.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 10:11 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• i would say shes getting enough
    yankeegirl87

Answer by yankeegirl87 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• wow. my eifht month old was breastfed for four months.then she was solely on formula til 5 months. then i started her on just like 4-6 oz of single grain flake creals with formula mixed. next was stage ONE Gerber vegetables and fruits added in and formula whenever she wants it (ev 2-3 hrs). NOw she is on stage TWO foods from gerber and Earths best. I next step will make her masked potato and sweet potato mashed liek i did with my son. ALL i have heard is dont go to much on the foods as their digestive tracts are not developed fully yet and no need to rush. i will go more all out when she is One liek i did with my son he is now 7. you have to watch: no citrus, milk, or chocolate or strawberries or eggs til 1 year old for allergy development... nohoney as an infant at all until 2. no peanust butter o r shellfish til 3 they are saying now. Mins doesnt get juice because they say all a baby needs in first year of life is formula
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:30 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I would think that's fine. neither of my babies ate the same at their ages....everyone is different.If she couldn't handle it or began to want more, you would know it.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:30 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• She was drinking 32oz before food and she would scream after every bottle. So the doctor told me to start giving her jarred food. Gerber says that she should have 24oz a day so she is getting 25oz.
    Momma2Miranda

Comment by Momma2Miranda (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• she will not drink 32oz of formula. I took her off of food and she would not drink more then 25oz so I am not forcing her to drink when she is not wanting it.
    Momma2Miranda

Comment by Momma2Miranda (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I agree witht he other moms that 25 oz is a bit low but just remember that she needs to maintain that 25 oz never let it go below that til way closer to a year old. My son never took over 24 oz even when only on formula, and if he ate more than 3 oz of babyfood at a time he would get sick, I think he just had a small tummu
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2010