how do you get an 18month old to stay in a toddler bed?

My little boy started flipping himself out of his crib, so to avoid a broken arm, we put him in a toddler bed. He HATES it. He will play on the bed, but will fall asleep on the floor if left in his room to "go to bed", and that takes hours. He is currently sleeping in the playpen crib as he "likes it" and won't climb out of it.

CRANKYMOM689

Asked by CRANKYMOM689 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he wont stay in the bed then he's probably not ready for it yet. Id just leave him in his play pen until he's ready to switch back.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:31 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I switched my 2yr old over this week to a bed and he thinks it's all fun and games . He's in and out of the bed several times. I keep going back in there and putting him to bed. I tell him it's night time and to go to sleep. We do this for about an hour. I finally get tired of it and give him 1 firm swat on the butt, a kiss on the forehead ,tell him I love him and that it's time to go to sleep. Then he will finally stay in bed. Tonight will be the 4th night, hopefully we don't have to do the whole thing tonight.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• It's not always easy getting the youngsters to do what you want when you want so you have to work with them and be consistant. My daughter who is now two finally sleeps in her own room on her 'Big Girl' bed. I would let her fall asleep then carry her to her bed. Over a few months of tiresome nights she finally realized that she always wakes up in the same place and puts herself to bed. Repitition doesn't work for everyone unless you're determined enough to make due and have it done. Good Luck
    MakG

Answer by MakG at 9:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2010