How do you feel about parents putting their kids on a leash?

So everytime I go to the mall, I see at least on parent who is using the, for lack of a better term "child leash" If you don't know what I mean Im talking about the ones they put around the child's wrist or now I see them on these tiny backpacks they wear. They are ridiculous and a sign of lazy parents. I feel like if you have to put you child on a leash to get them to behave and stay with you, then you need to not take them out in public until they can behave themselves. Am I the only one who feels this way?

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• i know what you mean...autism is one thing but if the kid is just plain bratty it is up to the parents to fix it and if they have to use a leash then they have NOT fixed anything and probably dont intend to...maybe dont even realize they need to...i agree, lazy parents who are forgetting they are the boss and need to teach their children some discipline
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I only have a problem with them when the child is being pulled around with it like they are a dog. i bought one of the backpack type ones for my daughter to take to the airshow with us...there were going to be 70,000+ people in a very small area and I just wanted it as an extra form of security since it was me and 2 kids. I held her hand as well as the end of the "leash" and she loved her backpack. I did not let her run freely just because I had something attatched to her, she was still required to stay with me and follow our rules for when we are in public. Sometimes there is just too much going on to trust everyone around you. I did not want to take the chance of her getting lost from me in the crowd and I do not care how well behaved a child is it is still possible for them to get distracted with that many people around. I didnt use it just to go to the mall but to me its no big deal as long as they arent pulling them
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• We had one because our son is autistic and would take off like a bat out of hell! In some cases its lazy parenting,but some ladies just have runners who can't be controlled

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:36 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I see this as a safety feature. I do not see the parents as lazy, but caring.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I'm not a fan.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I always felt that way until I had kids. I didn't have much of a problem with mine but I have seen kids that just will not listen, no matter what, even if their safety is in jeopardy. Some kids, need this leash. And you cannot quit doing things in life cause your kid is a runner.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I get irritated when I see parents using them as babysitters because they're too lazy to pay attention to their child. However, if your little one is getting into the walking/exploring stage, I feel like it's a decent way to give them a little more 'freedom,' especially in busy places & especially if you have multiple kids. Having a safety net is never a bad thing as long as it's not your main/only way of keeping tabs on your child.
    grace727

Answer by grace727 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I did, when we were in the Airport in NYC...JFK Airport...because I didn't want him running off while I was hanging into a suitcase and diaper bag and HIM. I mean....who wants to lose a kid in JFK>
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I agree, My 6yr old is perfectly capable of staying with me in large crowds, she also understands stranger danger,and I have no fear of her toddling off into a body of water. I cannot expect the same of my VERY independent 2yr old. He doesnt want to be held, hates sitting in strollers, and will fight holding my hand. I DO discipline him, and one day- hopefully in the next year- we will have this problem resolved. Its temporary, its not like people leash their children past ages 4-5. Its used for smaller children, who dont quite comprehend as well. I would rather see a child on a "Leash" than on the news. You assume parents who use them are lazy, have you ever considered they are just being cautious?
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Children are NOT puppies. You hold them by the hand or put them in a cart. Don't use a leash on them, PLEASE!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 9:41 PM on Nov. 6, 2010