My son is a year, in six days, and at 18mos we can start him in his first sport!!!

Soccer. It's this little kickers program, indoor, so I figure I might as well start him young, it's just for fun anyway.

Anyone else do this with their kids? Or start them in a sport very young?
Do they still play? Or show interest in it?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 9:35 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it's cute! I don't know how much sport you'll actually get out of it though.

I put dd in gymnastics at 13 months right after she started walking because I needed her to do something more stimulating than getting into everything. She started off not doing to much with it, it was more like crawling through obsticles and stuff but now that she's still doing it at almost 2 she has come SO far .... and best of all she loves it. We only continue take her because she has so much fun. The other great thing to get small children into is mommy and me swim classes.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Soccer at 18 months??!! That's silly!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• It's to get them familiar with the game and used to sharing and kicking the ball, not competitive, or serious at all. the age range is 18mos to 3yrs old depending on if they can walk/run or not.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 9:40 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• sounds cute...my little man would try to eat the ball though
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Oh brother? what?
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Lol, that is cool. D has played sports with family and friends since he learned to throw a ball but there weren't any organized sports till he turned 4. He starts soccer this year.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:49 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I thought it was sad when high schools started pushing athletics over academics. The grade/elementary schools started pushing athletics over academics. Now we're pushing athletics on babies who aren't even out of diapers yet?! Yes, OH BROTHER.
    Anonymous

• Namaste17--OMG thats adorable. When I was pregnant we were thinking of gymnastics if we had a girl. I had no Idea that had babygym that young. Too awesome.

Anon---It's the same as a play group. Not like I'm choosing soccer over academics, I'm choosing to put my son in a sport, or any activity for that matter, because he is super active, super smart, and like a PP said, needs more stimulation. Anything a parent does is being pushed upon a kid.
    When he goes to my sisters games he does the same thing: Runs around on the side, kicks the balls with the other kids/babies that are there, and it's fun. LOL Same thing, just at an organized time with an organized group of people.

Sad to be so negative about something that is so small.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 10:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Oh brother.
    Anonymous