Unwanted advice

Have any of you had unwanted parenting advice.? I have been getting a lot from a friend of mine. And out of everyone I know, I dont want her advice. When she has the baby by herself and her husband is at work, she considers it babysitting. She gives her baby a bottle every time he cries. She told me that he has had five, 8-ounce bottles in a hour period because all he did was cry. He is not even 3 months yet. And, she does this to him all the time. She will up and leave in the middle of the night to go out without telling her husband, Hey, I gotta go for bit...listen for him. So her husband wakes up with a crying baby and no wife to be found. There are many other things she does that I dont want to get into on here. I dont want her advice on what to do when my baby gets here. How can I tell her, please no more advice without making her upset with me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Is she a good friend? Because really, the last thing that you should be worried about is making this woman mad at you. Tell her to mind her own business and stick to her home front. When she is an expert at raising children, then she can give you advice. This (just so you know) happens to all mommies, for some strange reason other mommies feel that they have to give us advice. You have to tell them to bugger off, it's your baby, if you want help YOU'LL ASK! It's not rude, but the last thing you need is people telling you how they feel you should raise your baby. So tell them to back off and give you some room. They should be able to respect that.

smilinghug

Answer by smilinghug at 7:00 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Just tell her "I'm the mama"
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah from the mil thats why she dont come around a lot anymore.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 7:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I would just tell her...you have your way, and I have mine.
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 7:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Just ignore her obviously you know she's being an idiot!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 7:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I always always took what I could use and discarded the rest. I knew there was some advice that I would never take but I just listened and then did what I wanted to with it. Good luck and just don't do the stuff she tells you.
    priddymom

Answer by priddymom at 8:05 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• "thank you for your input but we have a pediatrician and my husband and I feel this is whats best for our baby... etc" OR you could start giving her advice incessantly
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:47 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Ugh, I had a friend like that (who has no kids btw) who I just cut out of my life. She was way too much of a stress on me and her "advice" got really insulting. It's like she assumed I'm some kind of idiot because I didn't give her my step by step parenting plan in writing! My husband and I have it covered and are as prepared as we can be at this point. This friend sounds really annoying. If i were you, i'd consider whether or not she's really someone you want around you at this point. I wish I would have gotten rid of my know-it-all friend sooner, it would have avoided so much needless stress. Family is one thing (my sister gives me advice all the time), but you can choose your friends!
    Anonymous