Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Has anyone had a child declair themseves independent from parents?

My daughter and son want to go to college but we "make too much" to get aid but not enough to pay for college or get loans. Anyone else have any luck with this?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

Answers (14)
  • hmm. i have been independant because i have a child, but i dont see why you wouldnt be able to get loans atleast. you really should go to the schools financial aid office and see what you can do.

    Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

  • My bro and I both declaired that we were "independent" from our parents in college. For that reason and many others. We were able to live in Section 8 housing together.....this was a LONG time ago, and when they changed taht Section 8 was for "families" not necessarily for just parents with children. So my bro and I lived together for my last 2 years of college in HUD housing. My parents couldn't afford to pay for college and all the costs that go along with it. And I graduated in 2002 and am still paying student loans to proove that mommy and daddy didn't foot my bills.

    Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2010



    Answer by kerp1960 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

  • my daughter had to move out claim no income get food stamps and get off my insurance. it took about a yr, but she did it and got student loans grants the whole bit. she is now in the AF paying off loans, so it can be done.

    Answer by cyndired at 3:11 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

  • They have to be independent for a full year and you cannot claim them on your taxes for a full year before the financial aid comes in as grants.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:01 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

  • I think what you are asking is about an 'independent minor' which a judge has to agree to. If he sees you are or the children are doing this to skirt financial rules, it might just back fire on all of you. My dd tried this, she was really upset with me about an issue we had, I had to real her back in quickly. We finally came to an agreement. We agreed she could go to boarding school two states away. She always had an independent streak a mile wide. She is still this way today. Good luck.


    Answer by Joeygoat at 1:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

  • Joeygoat, she is talking about college financial aid. I don't know about the OQ though. Me and my sisters got loans and scholarships and my husband went into the National Guard.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 10:17 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

  • tell them to apply for scholarships. if they claim independant they wont be able to get health care through you.

    Answer by mrs.pyle at 8:32 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • I work in financial aid, but work primarily with grad students, so i'm not the expert on this. However, the last training I was at regarding independancy override, they have made it MUCH harder for students to claim themselves as independant. Basically if your son and daughter are not 24, not married, and have no children, it'll be extremely difficult for them to claim indenendancy from you. You are required to provide your tax information on their FAFSA until that time. The Department of Education trainers told us that we have to collect proof from several indiviuals (typically social workers, high school counselors, or doctors) proving that the child is not in the care of the parents, along with other paperwork. There are students who have been living on their own for years, but if they don't fit the criteria, they must include parent tax info.

    Answer by BraniOut at 9:28 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • we thought about it but if we had done that then he would have been off our insurance so we just ended up getting a student loan but if you live in Texas and your a veteran then you can use the Hazelwood to pay for tuition...we used it for this semester and all we paid for was books

    Answer by juju40 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Adult Children (18+)
Does he deserve it?

Next question overall (Trying to Conceive)
im scared