When can you began taking stairs after vaginal birth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I live on the 3rd floor with no elevator and we came home after aprox 36 hrs! I say do what you feel like and don't push it.
    mindi6103

Answer by mindi6103 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Probably as soon as you can get out of bed.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 10:11 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• as soon as you want
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:11 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• It depends on whether you got stitches or not. I could right away. Not flights of stairs,but getting into the house.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:10 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I am not sure but when I got out of the Hospital (after having my son )on Day 3, I walked up four flights of stairs to get home to our apartment in base housing in Germany. No elevators. And I had to do laundry in the basement...which I did on my scheduled day, four days later. I lived. LOL. I am assuming that you can take stairs any time. I did, obviously.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• We lived on the third floor of an apartment when our daughter was born, and we came home about 16 hours later, but, I didn't have any complications. You have to trust your body and listen to your doctor
    grace727

Answer by grace727 at 10:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I was never told not to, but I know MIL was told to avoid it for 2-4 weeks back 75 years ago. So, if you're hearing that from someone older, that's where it comes from.

Of cours,e be careful and if you're not comfortable or if you get at all dizzy, you may wish to stop. But, especially if you had an easy delivery, you should be OK from the time you're home.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• i had PLENTY of stitches and did not feel the need to avoid stairs...but honestly i think it depends on your particular anatomy...if you have stitches and your labia are such that they spread a little when you take stairs then thats one thing...a little TMI i know but i hope you know what i mean...my labia and stitches were not that way...but i have a friend who took stairs too soon and ripped out her stitches...just start slow and work your way up...if you feel pain, STOP...also, if your bleeding increases or gets a brighter shade of red, YOURE DOING TOO MUCH, REST!...good luck!!
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 10:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I'm 58 and they didn't tell me 39, or 34  years ago that I couldn't take the stairs.   You can use them when you feel well enough, or if you have to (to get to your apartment,  climb stairs in your house, etc.).  Just take your time, and be careful.

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 10:41 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• watever you are comfortable with.. im a pussy (pardon my language) for pain so i didnt do crap after i had our daughter for like 4 weeks
    jtaylor87

Answer by jtaylor87 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2010