it makes sense theoretically that if you give a baby a more substantial meal before bed, that they would sleep through the night...

so why do people say that isnt true?? i dont agree with adding cereal to a bottle because of the choking hazard but if i start my daughter on solids and make sure she has no adverse reactions to that particular solid, then wouldnt it make sense that she wouldnt wake up hungry in the middle of the night if i give her that solid plus formula before bed??? she is 4 mos so we arent into that territory yet but just curious....

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hah. You're operating under the assumption that infants do things in a rational manner. Silly silly girl....
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 10:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Cereal is carbs, carbs is sugar, sugar doesn't help you sleep..it makes you crash after a big rush..its about blood suagr. PLUS cereal means less food taken in over all and thus baby will need to eat more.

Babies need to have a minimum of 32 oz of formula a day for a while, by giving a solid you are cutting down on the formula baby is taking in...sleeping will happen when sleeping happens, it doesn't have a huge amount to do with feeding
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Because it's been clinically proven not to be true... And it causes health issues - obesity, digestive issues, and the like... Just like you shouldn't eat a large meal before bed because it's not healthy, neither should your baby...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• very true Lisa!! : ) thank you, youre probably right
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• thank you tabi....that does make sense...but what about something like sweet potatoes??
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Infants that young are not able to process and digest foods like adults are. When we give them solids too soon, it may sit in their stomachs and make them uncomfortable. Which in turn makes them wake up. Not all babies will react this way, obviously. When I started DS on solids - he woke up more at night to nurse. As he got used to solids and as he got older, he stopped waking so much.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Well, I did put cereal in my boy's bottle because he was growing so quickly and always seemed so hungry.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 10:26 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I have never had that be true of any of my children. I agree it makes sense on a logical side, but as someone pointed out babies beat to a completely different rhythm.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• What I read is that in clinical studies of babies that were on tube feedings (where they give liquid through a tube continually for 24 hours so they don't get hungry) the babies had the same sleep and wake patterns as those who were fed meals (bottle or breast). Babies develop a longer period of night sleep at about 6 months, which coincides with giving solids, so most people think that the solids caused the longer sleeps.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Sorry, just to be clear- the babies were on tube feedings because they were already sick in the hospital, not because someone wanted to see what happened if they were not hungry.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2010