Reading Comprehension

Hello i want to know if someone can helped me out. My daughter is in first grade i had a meeting with her teacher last week. about she doing will good but she have a problem with Reading Comprehension. when she read a story she can't tell what the story about. i was at Borders and i got lost what to get to helped her out she can read real good she love to read.

Thank you
Tammy

piglet91

Asked by piglet91 at 11:03 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They actually sell some good books at Borders that can help with reading comprehension. They have short stories, then questions that a parent can ask the child. I think the one name of a series is Spectrum. There is an other one adn I can't remember the name of it off hand and the book is sitting on my desk in my classroom.
    If you read anything else to her, like at bed time, continuely ask her what is happening. Have her read to you and ask her what is happening at every page. Have her look at the pictures and ask her what is happening. Also, ask her to predict what might happen next in the story.
    It is not uncommon for some children to have great fluency (knowing the words) but don't understand what they are reading. With work, it should come.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:08 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• You could start with reading a level 1 book to her and ask her what it was about. Then have her read a short book level 1 and tell you what it was about. Those books have about 6 pages and large print. Then work you way up to a paragraph out of a newspaper or magazine. This should help. You should be able to ask the teacher/principal/school for resources.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:11 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Ask her teacher what she could be doing. Also, there are workbooks you can get at Walmart on Reading Comprehension. My son is in 9th grade and has had issues with comprehension since he learned to read. I have him at Sylvan because I can't help him..I am mom and he won't listen to me but he LOVES going to Sylvan.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Reading together and talking about the story is a great help with comprehension. Discussing what you've been reading together, asking questions, playing "what would you have done if you were in the story" and asking things like "how do you think that character felt when that happened" also help.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 11:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Read short stories and have her tell them back to you. If need be, look back at the pictures and have her retell each page.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:14 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I like Alice's suggestion. Too many people think that if a child is struggling, throw money at the problem. Buy this and buy that, that'll fix it, when really it takes time and effort. Read, talk, ask questions, answer questions, get thinking about what is being read ... get thinking and get working!
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 3:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I would ask the teacher or reading specialist, if you have one at your school, for the best books for her.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2010