When did you stop breastfeeding?

my son will soon be a year, on friday, and I've bf this whole yr, with the exception of experimenting w/solids.
I have heard that it is very difficult...honestly, I just want to stop all day time feedings by 18mos. I don't mind keeping the night feeding.

So what did you do? wean? "cold-turkey?" self weaning?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 11:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My oldest self weaned at about 20mo. I had cut her down to only nap and bed time when she started eating meals, then slowly cut out one nap feeding at a time. When we were down to only a bedtime feeding, I eventually only nursed when she asked. At about 20-21 mo, she became much more interested in "talking" at bedtime than nursing. My second is still nursing (he is 13mo) and already he seems to be losing interest. I don't want to wean him for a while, but he may just take matters into his own hands. Very different from my first.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I myself slowed down and only nursed at nap and bed times around 12 months and then adventally soon after they were done with me!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I slowed down over 6 months or so, and officially stopped when he was 18 1/2 months. We were down to maybe one or two nursings a day by then. The slower you do it, the better. Congratulations on making it over a year!!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• DS was weaned a week after turning 2. At that point I just ended it and he must've been ready b/c it was surprisingly easy. DD turned 2 a couple weeks ago and is still bfing...although I think we are ready to end it. With both I cut it down to mostly just nap/bed time somewhere btwn 12-18 months.
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 11:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• DD began self weaning around a year. It was once when she first woke up, then a few hours later, then right before nap, then once before bed. A few months later, she was nursing in the morning before nap and before bed. Around 17 months it was just before bed. By the time she was 19 months she was done.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:08 AM on Nov. 7, 2010