Anyone have any remedies for snoring, other than putting a pillow over your husbands head?

Husbands snoring is killing me. I can't sleep with any noise. The TV bothers me, the sound of the filter in the fish tank, the grandfather clock ticking. I can eventually tune that stuff out, not with ease. But snoring, some nights I could just smoother him with a pillow. I'm lucky to get 4 hours sleep a night. Anyone have any "secrets" or natuaral remedies to share?

DeeMomOfFour

Asked by DeeMomOfFour at 11:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Health

• Really good ear plugs!

Have him go to the doctor to get checked for apnea and hypopnea. If he has either (they'll do a sleep test or two), he'll be given a machine to use every night that forces air through the right passages, which keeps him from snoring.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:36 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• snoring spray, breathe right strips
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Ear muffs or cotton in the ears! I wind up elbowing my SO when he is snoring and having him roll over or something. Otherwise, if I can't get him to stop long enough for me to go back to sleep, either I get up and go to the couch or I make him go to the couch. Another trick for me is to go to bed before him. Many times I am asleep good enough that his snoring doesn't bother me when he does come to bed.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My husband went for a sleep study and it turned out he has sleep apnea. He now wears a CPAP to sleep at night and no more snoring!!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:27 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My DH uses the breathe right strips and they help a lot. My only other suggestion would be to tell him to sleep on the couch or in the garage (hehe). I am a light sleeper also so when DH does snore I will roll over and hit him, sometimes I'm not even fully awake myself.
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 11:35 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Ear plugs are great. And I almost always go to bed before he does
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 11:30 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• LOL....I want to know too! I used to use ear plugs, but I'm afraid I wouldn't hear my DS down the hall if I wore them now. It's rough sometimes. He does wear Breathe Right strips which help some, but not all the time.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:15 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I agree with having him checked for sleep apnea. My DH was diagnosed with it after a sleep study (they diagnosed him before the study but wanted a count), and he actually had surgery for it - his tonsils & adenoids came out, they trimmed back the part of his mouth where his uvula was, and they did something to his septum (nose), kind of reemed out his nose/sinuses and straightened all that out. FIL had the exact same surgery, but they also shaved off part of the back of his tongue (to thin it out). Both of them have done great since their surgeries. DD#3 actually had her tonsils & adenoids removed after a sleep apnea dx too - she'd been quite the snorer and hasn't had a problem since.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Clothes pin on his nose, stuff a sock in his mouth....just kidding have him get checked for sleep apnea GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:07 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• It depends on where the snoring is coming from. Those breathe right strips only work if it's a nasal problem. My husband snores from deep in his throat. The only cure is poking him until he rolls over and lies on his face. I have thought about the pillow-on-the-face scenario many times over the years.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:24 PM on Nov. 7, 2010