Some one help! My DD has lice and nothing is killing it!

I have tried Mayo, baby oil, and 3 different lice shampoos today. When I go to comb her hair, the bugs are still alive. I am ready to scream. Please help. What else can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Somehow, we managed to avoid lice (probably the only family on the block. Here are some remedies that I have held on to in case I need them. For prevention, mix 50% olive oil, 25% tea tree oil and 25% rosemary essential oil (you can get this at a health food store or Whole Foods); massage on scalp and leave on for 15-20 minutes. To cure, you can use mayonaise or coconut oil; put on the hair, wait about 30 minutes, and comb out with a flea comb from a pet shop; follow with the prevention spray. You will need to wash bedding, clothes, pillows, etc.
    Trader Joes has a great shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil and peppermint; these wouldn't hurt, and are great for adolescent, greasy, flakey, scalps.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Do not use any more lice shampoo unless the doc tells you to because it is toxic. I understand that this happens occasionally and there may be an RX med that is stronger. I think the best you can do tonight is to comb it.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:40 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• rid, nixx? call the ped?
    Anonymous

• I found the only thing that really worked was cover her hair/head in vasaline and wrap it in plastic wrap. Leave it over night and check in the morning.This will be hard to wash out but it's better than the lice. Hope this works for you!

Mrs.Hopeful

Answer by Mrs.Hopeful at 11:40 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• are you using a metal comb to get the eggs out..i used a plastic one and it never worked...I also used tea tree oil
    marjonmotel

Answer by marjonmotel at 11:40 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Mrs. Hopeful is right. And conditioner gets the vasaline out.
    DeeMomOfFour

Answer by DeeMomOfFour at 11:41 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• vinegar has been the best solution for us. I make a cup and dip the comb in it each time I pull it through their hair. It makes the bugs fuzz up and die.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 11:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• my mom used to use rubbing alcohol on us & the lice used to fall out dead on the towel but I was i think about 11 & i dont know how old ur child is they may be to young. Good luck
    ahsweetness

Answer by ahsweetness at 12:22 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Also make sure everything else is washed in hot water from the bedsheets,pillow cases,any stuffed animals. Vacuum the carpets, and vacuum the mattress. The internet will help with some remedies that may help to get rid of them. I would think the lice shampoo would help.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:11 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• We recently went through the lice problem. ICK ICK ICK. Like Kellyjude1 said, be sure to wash everything or those darn buggers will just keep coming back. I read a lot of stuff online and found that lice don't like tea tree oil, lavender, or clean hair. Don't wash her hair every day. Go through it each night with the comb, and pluck out and kill all the bugs you can. It's super gross, but necessary. We used LiceMD since RID did nothing. Blow drying her hair after washing it also helps kill any eggs that might be left behind. GL mama.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:23 AM on Nov. 7, 2010