Why is DD freaking out when i leave her sight?

My DD is 11 1/2 months old and every time i leave her sight or get up to leave the room she starts crying and screaming her head off! It's just me at home with her since my husband is deployed, I have a friend staying with me and even when she is still in the room the fit still continues. What is going on and how long will this last? Is there anything i can do to make it stop?

Emmery1985

Asked by Emmery1985 at 11:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most babies begin to "act strange" and get upset about Mom's absence right around age 1. It's just a phase and it'll pass.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 11:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yep...separation anxiety....my DD did this around 1 year old too. Its normal and a phase, dont worry.
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 11:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• yep..agree with pp
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• how long will it last??
    Emmery1985

Comment by Emmery1985 (original poster) at 11:57 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Separation anxiety. It could last a couple months or it could last until upwards of 3 years old. My daughter is almost 15 months and she's been super clingy since about 8 or 9 months. It does help that she can follow me easier now. So there isn't as much crying. My mom said I was clingy until about 2.5 years old. And my mom was the most clingy of her brothers and sisters, so I'm guessing my daughter isn't going to chill out as far as that goes anytime soon.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:15 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Separation anxiety. Usually it only lasts a couple of months but it also depends on how you react to her. If you pick her up everytime she freaks out, or don't continue with your errands out of fear of upsetting her, she may become "clingy." Also, don't just sneak out while she's not paying attention because that could traumatize her more. My sister does this with her son and I think it makes him more clingy. He cries whenever she goes anywhere, even if it's just into the next room. He just turned 2 and I don't see him stopping anytime soon,
    MarcsWife05

Answer by MarcsWife05 at 12:41 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• my son does that and its really annoying, because he cries when i have to go to the bathroom. so i have to take hime with me.
    dement

Answer by dement at 2:55 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I try not to pick her up when she's screaming, only if she really gets upset. Before I do pick her up I try giving her something else that she might want so she's not completely focused on me leaving the room. That works most of the time but when it doesn't it gets beyond annoying cuz she's never been like this. If she's like this with me when my DH comes home for 2 weeks is she gonna even go to him?
    Emmery1985

Comment by Emmery1985 (original poster) at 7:29 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Like the first poster said, pretty common in this age group. It'll pass.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 3:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2010