need bedtime advice

my two year old wont go to bed untill after midnight. we put her in bed around 1030 and i lay woth her untill she falls asleep but for the first hour she is usually fighting me to get up and screaming then she lays there and plays and finally passes out. i know she is tired because her eyes get all red and droopy and she starts cuddling with me on the couch so i know she is ready at 1030, she just hates actually going to sleep and fights it untill she passes out. any advice on how i can make this easier on the both of us?

Tbrown33317

Asked by Tbrown33317 at 11:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• does she nap during the day?
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:53 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• yes she gets up around 830-9 and takes a nap from 3-4ish
    Tbrown33317

Comment by Tbrown33317 (original poster) at 11:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• i'd cut out the afternoon nap...that what i had to do with my dd and ds they now go to bed around 8:30 and sleep until about 7 the next morning GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Ours always went to bed at a set time. 8pm every night no matter what. Once she gets into a set routine, she will be better for it. If you're thinking keeping her up later will help her to sleep later in the morning, I'm afraid you're wrong... 10:30pm is too late for a 2 yr old to go to bed. Give her a bath at 7:30, brush teeth, etc, then to bed by 8pm. Then let her pick a book, and read to her. Stick to a routine, and she will get used to it, and actually look forward to reading every night.
    Our boys still like a story at bedtime, and they are 7 and 8 yrs old. Hope this helped... GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• id start a routine earlier bath a snack brush teeth read a book then put her to bed. It took me a long time to get my daughter to go to bed for me. You may have to let her cry herself to sleep for awhile. Once she realizes she has to go to bed and u mean buisness shel fight you less and less. Its all a control thing at that age. they just need to realize youre the boss.
    done909

Answer by done909 at 12:03 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My son was this way. It took me a long time (until my daughter was born last year) to put him on a schedule and stick to it. It wasn't strange to see our lights on at 3 am. BUT now he goes to bed before 8 and sleeps until 7 or later!!! He takes a bath, then he gets a snack and I read him 2-3 books. Then I will lay with him. The rule is that if he lays still He can lay wherever he wants but if he gets up I get to hold him tight (put my arm around him). He HATES being held tight so he usually doesn't squirm around.I also give him 5 seconds of "Wiggle" time as soon as we lie down (I count to 5 and he gets any last wiggles out). He usually is out within 5 minutes =) Some nights he gets to lay and watched Chopped with me...but he usually doesn't make it very long!
    He Doesn't take a nap because a 5 minute naps gives him HOURS of energy!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 12:23 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Our 2 gave up their naps at age two. If they napped ocassionally after that they were up for hours.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:01 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• 10:30 is pretty late for a 2 yo. If my dd doesn't nap, she goes to bed at 6:30 and falls alseep right away. With a nap she goes down at 8. The more sleep they get the better they sleep -she sounds like she is overstimulated and is having trouble sleeping because of it. When kids don't get enough sleep, they have too much adrenaline in their system, which makes them seem wired and hyper (they don't seem sleepy) and it also makes it harder for them to fall and stay asleep.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• my daughter gets in bed by 8pm and is asleep by 9 (normally) and she sleeps til 9 am but she doesnt take naps. she was doing the same thing your child is doing... we cut out her nap.. she started sleeping more.. hope it helps
    jtaylor87

Answer by jtaylor87 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 10, 2010