My son is 3 weeks old, when should i wash his hair, im scared i dont want him to catch a cold?

Mrs.Stancil

Asked by Mrs.Stancil at 12:22 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to stimulate the scalp and thats the best way to do it. Just wash and have a towl near by to wrap him and dress him fast. :) Congrats on you new LO
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:23 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• now would be a good time :)
    We washed my sons hair over the kitchen sink. My so Would hold him in a cradle like position. I get the water barely warm, and then I would soap his hair, comb it, and rinse it out. My son stayed fully clothed, I would dry his hair put a beanie on him and that was that.

PS babies don't catch colds that way, or we'd all be sick, especially the bald guys.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:26 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• A cold is caused from a virus. Not from being wet or cold. Look it up. You arent making a baby catch a cold by washing its hair! Sheesh..poor kid. Three weeks of life & it hasn't had a bath yet?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My daughter got her first bath before she was a week old. At the time, we had a heating lamp in our bathroom, so we let the room warm up, I put a cushy towel down on the counter, filled the sink with lukewarm water, and gave her a sponge bath. She screamed the entire time, but we were fast, dried and dressed her quickly, and now bath time is her favorite thing in the world! (She's 2 1/2 now)
    grace727

Answer by grace727 at 1:01 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Anonymous why be such a smart as*? Your really not suppose to bath babies until there cord falls off. My dd was almost three weeks old when it fell off. Then I just gave her a sponge bath for her first month.

New borns are not digging ditches lol. If you're quick with clean diapers and fresh burp cloths making sure under there chin/neck area is cleaned, you're already cleaning the parts that really need attention — the face, neck and diaper area.

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 1:50 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• lmao
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 1:15 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• i had my son in cold wether too, and i know how scarry it is. my mom had to help me because it was my first time too lol. but anyways, what we did was , we had put the heater in the bathroom and shut the door untill it go very worm. then we made the water very very worm. after your done with the bath, dry him and lotion him and get him dressed in that same room. dont forget to put alcohol on his cord to dry it out. hun. congrats.

@ anonymous i thought that was a very rude answer. we all should be helpful instead of judging how other ppl feel. and yes the baby can catch a cold with wet hair.
    dement

Answer by dement at 2:11 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I kept my baby wrapped in thick towels and washed one body part at a time. They told me at the hospital to start with the head and work your way down. When you are all done then dry your babys head really well with a dry towel and put a hat on and a warm sleeper .
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 8:04 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• That is an old wives' tale. "The reason why the incidence of colds go up so much during the colder months of the year is because that is when the most people stay in and are forced to be in much closer contact with each other, which eases the transference of contagious viruses such as the ones that cause the cold."

Give your child a bath. The best way to bathe a newborn is by undressing the child and wrapping them in a towel. Expose just the one part that is being washed and then dry and return back to the towel wrap this will keep your child warm while bathing. Congratulations on the new one.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:19 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Keep his body wrapped and covered while you do his hair. We always washed them on a well padded kitchen table at this age.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:56 AM on Nov. 7, 2010