I have stitches down below, will it burn if i wash with soap?

Mrs.Stancil

Asked by Mrs.Stancil at 12:29 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Health

• Usually doctors will tell you how to wash. If I remember right, they said not to get anything near the stitches, so use as little water as possible "there" and absolutely nothing else.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 12:31 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• If you have a squirt bottle, that would be great (like one you get from the hospital after having a baby) then you could use that to freshen up there and it will not hurt. I wouldn't want to use any soap because you ay not rinse it all off, water should be good.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 12:42 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• It needs to be really clean down there as you can get it..but with water. You dont want to irritate it. Didn't they go over this before they released you from the hospital? You should be using a squirt bottle of warm water on it every time you go to the bathroom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• They call it a peri bottle (for perineal) and you squirt with warm water all of the blood and stuff off each time you use the bathroom. then you BLOT dry with toliet paper. Use witch hazel pads(Tucks) to clean after number 2 and not wipe with toliet paper. "Down there" doesn't need soap for awhile. I had several stitches in that area(I tore during the crowning and then some more during the delivery). I didn't want to even THINK about soap in that area for weeks. When you are fully healed down there you can use some soap, usually 6 weeks. I would use mild soap that is fragrance free.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:37 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Warm water with a squirt bottle
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:51 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Yes, it will hurt to wash with soap. It will hurt to wash with warm water. It will hurt to not wash. It'll just hurt for a while. Isn't that the worst place in the world for stitches. OY.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:17 PM on Nov. 7, 2010