Me and my fiancee' been together for 2yrs and engaged for a 1 1/2, how long should we stay engaged, somepeople say no longer than 2yrs?

Mrs.Stancil

Asked by Mrs.Stancil at 12:32 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• you stay engaged as long as you want... there's no set date when you HAVE to get married!
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 12:32 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Girl! I have been engaged for going on 6 years, been together for almost 9 years. Your ready to get married when your ready! Not when society says you are! Stay engaged for as long as you want!!
    DevinNKalebsMom

Answer by DevinNKalebsMom at 12:57 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My aunt and uncle never got married....the have been engaged for over 13 years. When you are ready then you are ready dont let people pressure you into how long you should be engaged..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I was engaged for 9 months. I didn't want to be engaged for longer than a year. I just really wanted to be his wife! But we didn't want to live together before we were married, so that makes a difference. Personally I would want to get married ASAP, but do what is right for you two.
    katinthehat8914

Answer by katinthehat8914 at 1:06 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Well me and my husband have been together for 4 years. We married 16 months ago. We were engaged for just about 2.6 years.... (we never dated just cut to the chase lol) And we are AMAZING together. Don't listen to what people say about no longer than 2 years... Because it is the person who decides.... you will know.... trust me.... We planned our wedding in a month because we decided that was the right time..... On the other hand my friends have been engaged for 4 years. When you are ready YOU will know. Discuss it with your fiance..... Find out his oppinion. No one can make the decision but you and him :) I hope I helped :)
    MrsBaldwin

Answer by MrsBaldwin at 1:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Considering your other question, your lucky you didnt marry him yet. I'd be very careful & really consider whether you want to be married to a guy who is mean to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• From my personal observation of the people I know this is my answer;

If you live together and stay engaged for longer than 2 years the chance of you ever getting married go down significantly. After that long everyone knows you are together and honestly no one cares if you get married then or not, expecially if you have kids already.

My uncle has been engaged to the mother of his children for 13 years (They have 3 kids). They are always "ready to get married". They set a date, plan everything and then; never mind. No one cares anymore. My sister has been "engaged" (no ring or proposal, its just a "given" between them that they are going to get married "some day") to her baby's father for 2.5 years. There is always an excuse for why they are not getting married yet, no one believes they will. Know of other people but not going to hog the thread.

My suggestion: If you want to get married, do it. If not, dont.
    Jwick

Answer by Jwick at 1:03 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Yeah do it when you both are ready.My dh and I was engaged for a year,we were all so together a year and a half be for we were engaged.It will be three years in march,that we have been married.So it is up to you and your so.good luck
    bucky77

Answer by bucky77 at 1:55 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My mother and her second husband were engaged for 12 years before he finally talked her into married !! She finally didn't have any financial reasons why it was better to not get married. Nobody else would have cared - he just wanted to be married or they might still just be engaged (they have been married for about 12 years or so now - I lose track!). I agree - no time limit.
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 7:08 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I have a cousin who is going on 4 years being engaged. They have not set a wedding date. It is totally up to the two of you.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:49 AM on Nov. 7, 2010