• In the Spotlight:

Any type of diets that anyone knows of for a high strung toddler?

I'm having a very hard time with our 3 1/2 year old daughter, she is very high strung. My Husband & I work opposite schedules so Im home every night getting her to bed on my own. Im 30 weeks pregnant with baby number 2 and working full time hours during the day. Bedtime is my biggest struggle with her. I have tried just about everything I can think of to get her calmed down and relaxed before bed. I am a very consistent Mother and I know that children thrive off of schedule. She will NOT go to bed though, it goes back and fourth for at least two hours every night. Like I said before I'm 30 weeks pregnant and very emotionally tired and drained. I'm thinking that it has to be something to do with her diet. She is a very good eater and will eat just about anything you put in front of her. She eats a very balanced diet. I dont know if there is something in her diet that I can keep away from her completely that will help with this.

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 12:42 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• no red juices
    cantmoveon

Answer by cantmoveon at 12:48 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• You might try foods that are higher in magnesium and B6.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:50 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• maybe its not the diet..maybe she just acts out for your attention..I say that cause you metioned 2 hours back and fourth..thats a long time..does she still nap?? that might be it too. I was in your shoes the begining of the year and I was persistent with him bath,story,hug and kiss,tucked in and it was bed time..some nights were easier then other and it all depeneded on what he did that day..I had to make sure he go all his energy out. good luck!! two is a challenge so hopefully she will do better for you!!
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 1:37 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Give her foods high in protein, B-complex vitamins, and complex carbs.
    Avoid processed foods, artificial coloring (particularly red 40), and processed sugars.

Its more expensive, but we have adapted this diet for our son who sounds a lot like your daughter. I never wanted to be the mom that was super picky about sugar intake, but its essential. Its not fair to pump a kid with sugar all day, then get mad when they have breakdowns at night. He still gets treats, but they are limited, and adjusted.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 1:38 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Also - my comment wasnt an attack on you. We went through hell with my son, and i would just plain get mad at him for his behaviors. It wasnt his fault. Since starting a new diet and a strict routine, everyone is happier. HE is happier.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 1:40 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Naps should definitely be taken. The other moms have given you some great advice.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2010