Is department store makeup better than Drugstore makeup?

mom23girls541

Asked by mom23girls541 at 12:54 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• It really depends on the brand. I prefer MAC or Merle Norman.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:56 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I prefer MAC or Clinique, but as far as the cheaper brands go...I love Cover Girl.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 12:57 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• No, I don't think so. I worked the cosmetics section in a Walgreens for awhile and one of my customers came in, telling me she couldn't afford buying Lancome anymore and told me that L'Oreal is pretty much the same thing, only cheaper. Cover Girl is easily compared to Max Factor cosmetics. Any major cosmetic brand you find, you can easily find a cheaper brand that's comparable to it. I think that talking to a beauty advisor at a drugstore is a better experience, because they're not nearly as focused on getting your sale and commission; they're more focused on finding the right cosmetic brand for you. I had great luck selling Neutrogena because a lot of women came in with very sensitive skin; Neutrogena is amazing for those with that skin type. I also had great luck selling L'Oreal because it's my brand of choice for cosmetics. Except for eye liner. I LOVE Jordana's liquid liner. And it's only $1.99!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:59 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I believe so but not 100% sure. Ive tried este lauder and that is the best stuff ever. Ive tried all drugstore brands and hate em all. Este is about 35.00 just for the foundation but for me its worth it cause It keeps me from breaking out so in the long run I wont always need it. Plus I am a SAHM so I only wear makeup when I go out to places besides grocery store. So 35.00 bottle wld last me for about 6 months
    mymestey

Answer by mymestey at 1:00 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Generally speaking, yes. It also depends on what your use is for the make up. If you're just doing basic make up, drugstore works just fine. If you are a professional, professional and department store brands are the way to go. It also depends a lot on what you know about cosmetics.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 1:03 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• The main difference that I noticed between them is that the ones you get at department stores seems to last a lot longer and stays on longer as well. I use a department store foundation but everything else is from the drug store. I dont wear it often because I dont get out much lol.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:06 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I've tried just about every makeup under the sun. Nothing imo is better than Bare Mineals. Its so natural and pure-I literally sometimes have the mascara IN my eye(and I wear contacts) and I can't even feel it! The only way I know its there is by looking in the mirror. You can't feel it on your skin at all. There's no smell to it either. Hate to tell you that all the other makeups that you slather on your face. eyes and lips you are absorbing into your bloodstream and ingesting and its chemicals that aren't safe to be ingesting and some have been linked to serious problems-including cancer.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:07 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Sometimes it is, depends on the products. For example I prefer the dept store foundation and blush, it looks better and lasts longer. But for mascara, eyeshadow, lipstick, I think the drugstore stuff is just fine.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 1:40 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I prefer Estee Lauder or MAC cosmetics. I used to wear drugstore make up but now I'm spoiled on the good stuff! Both of my best friends are makeup artists and won't touch anything other than these two brands
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 2:27 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Liquid eye liner is better if it is more expensive. I have had the Mary Kay, Elizabeth Arden, Estee Lauder, Clinique, and Lancombe. Eye makeup is better store bought. It just lasts much longer. As far as foundation, you can get Revlon foundation that wrks just as well as the expensive brands. You have to experiment. But I don't waste my money anymore like that. Most of the colors from the expensive brands are so dark and look ridiculous on me even with a tan.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 6:06 AM on Nov. 7, 2010