How Many Days Do You Think Kids Should Go To School???

mekarevell

Asked by mekarevell at 1:16 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• yeah trips to Disneyland are waaaay more beneficial then stupid school, Boo learning... I'm so much smarter than those teachers who went to school to learn about children and ways to educate them and know all that knowledge stuff!!!

(i really hop this comes off sarcastic, its meant to be)
    specialrevolver

Answer by specialrevolver at 9:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Public school is NOT an "institution". It is a gathering place for kids and their teachers where they learn and share and grow and socialize. I am just amazed at the ignorant and irrational way some Moms feel about SCHOOL! I really think they want their kids attached to them and away from society...because of some groundless fears. You can't keep them protected and sheltered from reality forever. OMG.....
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:57 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I think at least 5 no more than 6.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:09 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My DD LOVES going to school, and only goes 3 days a week now. (pre school) I feel M-F is good. As one who taught, if anything an extra hour in that day would have been nice sometimes, to get more projects in, but honestly, I have always worked quite well with the daily schedule. I made sure to make school FUN too (as best I could with curriculum). The type of teacher and classroom structure makes a huge difference on WHAT students get out of each school day.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:38 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• school most definitely is an institution. And you are the one making ignorant statements, as I do not keep my children home out of fear. Nor are my children attached to me and locked away from society. They actually spend more time in reality than children who are locked in a classroom all day.

Answer by my2.5boys an hour ago

---------------------------------------------
    LOCKED in a CLassroom? Paranoid much?
    I guess I just have never tried permanently attaching children to me.
    My kids are grown up now with their own families and careers and they really liked "being locked up ina a classroom" ...hehehe. It is not as bad as you think....you should try that Public school thing.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:08 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• 5 days a week, 6 hours a day, for 36 weeks - gets them ready for a 40 hr work week with only a 2 week vacation
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 2:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• They go enough. 8-3 M-F Starting the end of Aug and ending the beginning of May.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I think they currently go too much and would prefer to see 3 or 4 days a week. Currently my son goes for 3 half days a week and only having 2 days to plan educational trips and spend time together is hard. I can't imagine next year with 5 half days... then 5 *whole* days???

I do like year round school, and would be willing to trade more bulk time off for a day or two off a week...

Ultimately, we may end up homeschooling... I think family time is more valuable but I'm giving public school a shot for DH. We'll see.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:47 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• kerp, perhaps you should have spent more time in school learning definitions of words.

in·sti·tu·tion (nst-tshn, -ty-) n. 1. The act of instituting. 2. a. A custom, practice, relationship, or behavioral pattern of importance in the life of a community or society: the institutions of marriage and the family. b. Informal One long associated with a specified place, position, or function. 3. a. An established organization or foundation, especially one dedicated to education, public service, or culture. b. The building or buildings housing such an organization.

A school most definitely is an institution. And you are the one making ignorant statements, as I do not keep my children home out of fear. Nor are my children attached to me and locked away from society. They actually spend more time in reality than children who are locked in a classroom all day. 

my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Kids should go to school 5 days a week, from 8-3, just like I did. And my DD will be going to private schools as well, because the public school system isnt good enough in CA right now. Education is sooo important, especially in thw world we live in now, and the world our children will be living in. Without the best begining, how can you expect them to be successful later, IMO.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 5:23 PM on Nov. 7, 2010