moving out of my parents in the spring, should i buy stuff NOW or wait until I have a place?

I have to get EVERYTHING. couch, tv, kitchen stuff bathroom stuff etc.

how did you do it?
suggestions, advice, concerns, comments

thanks :)

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:19 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I would start saving now, and wait. Although, you can get some AMAZING deals on Black Friday, so it might be worth getting things like a TV, kitchen stuff, etc then if you can afford it. Will you have to store it? It's not worth getting it now if you have to store it. Ikea is great for that stuff if you have access to one.
    You don't have to get a FULL house. A bed, kitchen stuff, maybe a TV will really get you started. I wouldn't worry too much about furniture right away, unless you have EVERYTHING else and you have money left over.
    Make sure you have a savings account, too, for life's trials.
    Good luck with the move!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:27 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I'd say wait until you get to your new place, but try to bring along a few things to help you live as comfortably as possible, like an air mattress or comforters or even a sleeping bag to sleep on. For one thing, if you buy stuff now, where would you store it until you move? It's much easier to bring new things in or have them delivered right to the place where they will eventually go (rather than haul it all with you yourself). When I moved across the country, I just had my clothes and a few items, but basically also had to get everything else for the apartment. IKEA was my best friend back then. ;) Good luck!
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 1:28 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Start after the holidays. So much goes on sale afterwards to get rid of inventory. I think furniture stores have big sales in January. You could call a few and ask when their yearly sales are. January is also the month for "white" sales and that would be for all the towels, sheets, possibly drapes, etc. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:14 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I would wait until after the first of the year and I'd put furniture and such on layaway
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Save your money now. If you see some things that you want to buy , do you have a place to store them? Do you know where you're moving? If not, then there's no way you can pick out couches, etc. Once you know dominsions, colors, etc. Then you can shop for furniture and schedule the delivery for when you first get in.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I'd wait until you are in your new place and can assess where you have room for things--and the space you have for furniture like sofas, entertainment center, bedroom set, etc. I moved from my parents home to my single girl townhouse, with just an air mattress to sleep on and all of my clothes/shoes/accessories!

I remember having so much fun shopping for furniture and decorating! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I would start looking and get a good idea of where you would want to buy these items and how much they usually are. Then you will know if you're getting a good deal or not. My DH will literally shop around 10+ stores for a month just to get a good price on something that's expensive. If you have the time, why not put in the research? Plus it's a good excuse to get out and go window shopping :).
    JJsMoMMy519

Answer by JJsMoMMy519 at 10:05 AM on Nov. 8, 2010