CA moms - Yes or No on Prop 8.

I am seriously upset by the supporters of pop 8 in my area.
There are a group of parents that have been gathering on a corner in my neighborhood with signs promoting prop 8. Thing is, they are standing with their kids. Some as young as about 7 or 8.

I dont get it. So they think having their family there will show how strong the bond is with people who "support family'. That is a joke. I'm not gay, i have no real close friends that are gay (anymore), and my affiliation to gay people has NO bearing on why i hold the views i do. I am very family oriented, and many opposers i know are as well.

I cant understand supporting the prop in the first place, but using your kids as billboards. Appalling!

You know why you don't see Prop 8 opposers out with their kids? they know its cruel, unusual, and unnecessary.
Unacceptable.

redderbedder

Asked by redderbedder at 7:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I live in KS...what is prop 8. I heard someone on tv say to vote yes on prop 8.
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 7:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• is it for gay marriage?? if so.... then i am against it... marriage is for a man and woman!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• It is against gay marriage.... and i am going to vote yes.. like the p.p said marriage is for a man and woman!!!!
    NewMommyIn2008

Answer by NewMommyIn2008 at 8:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I am for gay marriage. The only reason it is such an issue is because of religion which is wrong because we are suppose to have freedom of religion. BUT... I am not for some of the things they do in parades. They shouldn't dress like some of them do.. Take pride by wearing a T-Shirt that states what you are for.. not something you'd see in play boy.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I'm from CA... in 2000 voters passed proposition 22 which defined marriage as between a man and a woman and that is what would be recognized in CA. Well, the court overturned it and said it was unconstitutional. So now, in 2008 Proposition 8 is put an ammendment in the constitution which states the same thing as prop 22... only marriage between a man and a woman will be recognized in CA.
    I voted yes for Prop 22 and will be voting yes for Prop 8... only marriage between a man and a woman should be recognized.
    As for the rights of homosexual couples.. they have rights.. they can have civil unions... just not get married.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I just dont understand your logic. Especially coming from a black woman.
    Would you be upset if the gov't told you it was illegal to marry a white man?
    Decades ago, this idea was held up STRONG.
    I cant understand how someone of a minority could stand up for such discrimination.

con't
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 9:07 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• This proposition isnt about what they wear in parades. I agree some stuff should be considered lude in public. However - not the issue.
    This prop is purely discriminatory.

Also.. my post is about exploiting and brainwashing your children.
    Its absolutely appalling.
    People voting yes to this literally make me sick to my stomach.
    McCain supporter - fine. You have a different view of the direction this country should go in, and youre entitled, and I am perfectly fine with something like that.

But voting to purposely infringe on people's rights?
    My God.. how can you look at yourself in the mirror and consider yourself caring, moral, and respectful.

redderbedder

• Brainwashing children is indeed appalling, BUT among people's rights, you HAVE to respect the fundamental right of parents to teach their children right from wrong, and teach them values. People disagree on the values they want to teach their children - this is very obvious in every issue. If an atheist teaches her children that there is no God, she is no more brainwashing her children than is the Catholic who teaches "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. " ... I support gay couples. I would be voting yes, except that we already voted on this and it was overturned by activist judges making law from the bench. I have looked into it, and am satisfied that civil unions give gay couples all the legal rights given by civil marriage. I dislike the side effect of what gets taught in public schools - remember the 1st grade class that was bussed to a gay wedding for a "learning opportunity"? THAT's brainwashing !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 9:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• redderbedder: i wouldn't be able to look in my face if i supported gay marriage. i don't hate homosexuals.. have friends and family who are and I love them but they also know my views.. I am caring, moral and respectful... and it's my morality and my respect for God's word that makes me vote the way I do. God calls it an abomination. Therefore I vote accordingly. I am a strong, proud black woman who fights for what she believes in even when others don't agree... the only one I'm worried about judging me is God. So when I look in the mirror... I look at myself and smile and have peace in knowing I did what I know is right.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• cont: As far as my children go... I have one son and he makes his own decisions. I give him the tools and the information.. I tell him to do his own research and what he does with that information is up to him. He is an adult and whatever he decides regarding politics, morality etc is between him and God and I will love him whatever he decides. Brainwashed he is not.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2008