Can any one help me out my daughter is 7 yrs old and thinks she in charge and really dont seem to get it that im the parent not her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have 3 daughters and all my friends have had girls...they are all very.very hard to deal with at the age of 7..don't worry it is a phase and she will change when she is 8..all you can do for now is put down your foot and keep reminding her she is the kid and your not going to argue
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:58 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• A few things might help:

You make the rules-expectations clear PRIOR to the event or time or whatever (don't say "you were tardy now you are grounded" at the moment of being late to school, for example). You need to warn her of this consequence prior, the day before so she can work for the goal
    And if you warn her, be sure to follow through. Actually ground her or whatever your discipline is.
    Better than bringing up consequences though-- are rewards. (Like being on-time to school everyday this week means a playdate with best pal on Saturday, for example.)
    Be sure to give her plenty of responsibilities and tasks that she can do with you and alone. It feels good to have some responsibilities with maturity. And outline expectations prior, too.
    Know that testing her power is a phase... it will come and go through the years, really. Get a firm grip on it now, in a positive way, makes it easier later!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:25 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• and very important:

Gentle Discipline 101

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:26 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• can you give us some specific examples of her behaviour ???
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 7:31 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My 7 yr old son was the same way and I tried everything until I started doing a reward system. I got a roll of 50/50 tickets and each of my children got a zip lock bag w there name on it and I hung it up for them to see. Then I made a sheet of the rules so 1-200 tickets are worth $0.05 each then 201-301 tix are worth more so on and so forth. They get 3 tixs if they get up and get dresses have a good day at school and if they do nice things for me or there brothers they get more. Believe it or not it has been working. His attitude has been soo much better.. Good luck
    andersonboys3

Answer by andersonboys3 at 9:34 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• It's her job to see what she can get away with. It's your job to make sure she knows you're the boss. Keep your rules and consequences consistent. She will continue to test you. It makes parenting fun, right?
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:12 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• You have to be the parent and not allow it. It is not just girls that do this. My son tried this one time and learned that I am the boss, not him. He knew from an early age that there are consequences for his poor choices and when he gets on his high horse, he knows he is in trouble. He tries to boss me around and he loses whatever it is that he was demanding, even if I had planned on doing it anyway. Kids that think they are the boss act that way because the parents allow it to happen.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:16 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• It's up to you to disallow that behavior. Sure, it's a challenge ... it takes a lot of energy and hard work. But if you don't get it taken care of now, the problem will only get worse.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 3:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Children who think they are in charge think that because the parents allow it to happen. It's probably been a habit for many years. It's up to you to put that behavior in check, to give consequences for poor choices and poor attitude, and to see to it that "thinking she's in charge" is never rewarded.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I have a 7 year old step daughter and I am in the same boat! My 8 year old son didn't do these things so I thought it was just a step kid thing but I guess it is a girl thing, thanks for asking the question!
    TiffanyPlew

Answer by TiffanyPlew at 4:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2010