How do i get my son to sleep all night?

He is a year and six months old and still wakes up cryin. He sleeps with me and always has. I have tried lettin him cry like the doc. said but he will cry for hours every time. Most of the time its like hes havin a bad dream but some times he will just sit up and look around and start cryin. Please help me.

whitney30

Asked by whitney30 at 1:15 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I really don't have much to offer except that my son woke up with what I think were dreams at that age. He really was not fully awake. He could not respond to us. It did not take long to comfort /sooth him, though, as we would just hold him and do the soothing routine we did for every bedtime. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:29 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My son had night terrors a lot around that age. We were told to let him cry it out and he would always calm down sooner when I did that (even though I would be crying wanting to comfort him). But if I went in there to help him or touch him to calm him down, it would go on forever. It might be helpful to put him in his own room so he doesn't see you when he wakes up since this might perpetuate the situation.
    JJsMoMMy519

Answer by JJsMoMMy519 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I have heard that sometimes nightmares, night terrors and just poor sleep quality can improve with more overall sleep and an earlier bedtime. IDK if it would help, but sometimes any thing is worth a shot.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 10:56 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• For my daughter it helped if I let her have a sippy cup with some water in it with her, and in fact still does, becuase she would and does get thirsty during thenight. I also would put a toy or two in the corner of her crib, like a plush animal or somethign like that that was safe for her to play with if I wasn't hovering right there. That way if she was determined to be up she wasn't upset just becuase she was bored and thens he'd go back to sleep eventually.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 11:42 AM on Nov. 10, 2010