I'm pregnant with twins and wondering about the flu shot...have you got it or not, what do you think, my doctor wants me to get it and I am kind of against it.

I don't ever get if for me or my kids and am against it. But I'm wondering what other peoples experiences were with getting it. I have to decide by Monday and I don't know what to do....

melimom6

Asked by melimom6 at 1:30 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• We are a vaccine free home. If we were not, I still can't imagine I would ever get a vaccine while pregnant, especially a flu vaccine. Everything you put in your body while pregnant is also put in to that poor baby, and the amount of chemicals in a vaccine is simply to high... In fact I'm 36 weeks pregnant at this very moment, and my doctors (who didn't know we didn't vaccinate) were very firm on the idea of NOT getting a flu shot while pregnant because of the increased risk of birth defects.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:33 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My doctor really pushed me into getting one last year when I was pregnant because there was a high incidence of pregnant women progressing quickly to needing hospitalization with the flu and there were a few deaths. Mostly that is just because where I live the flu season is year round and there are a ton of tourists all the time. If you live in a low risk area it might be ok to skip it, but if like me you are in a high risk area I wouldn't take the chance.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:33 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• SabrinaMBowen

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:40 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• <3 Dr Tenpenny, Sabrina.
    http://organichealthadviser.com/archives/shocking-h1n1-swine-flu-vaccine-miscarriage-stores-from-pregnant-women-tell-your-doctors-that-vaccines-and-pregnancy-do-not-mix
    NinjaMomma

Answer by NinjaMomma at 1:50 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• i did not get vaccinated while pregnant. i was pregnant 2x during flu season and during swine flu time. i just didn't want to chance it.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 5:53 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't get it. Even the makers of the flu shot (in the package insert) tell you that pregnant women should not get it unless absolutely necessary. There was a time when pregnant women were told not to get ANY vaccination. Now the flu shot is highly 'recommended.'

I wouldn't. Hope you can make a decision about it.

Congratulations on the twins!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:54 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I am against the flu shot. I just think it is important for our immune systems to fight off disease and I am not very into 'unnecessary' vaccines anyways. This is a personal decision though, do what feels right.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 10:10 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Thank you all for the responses...

I'm not an advocate for the flu shot or swine flu shot, I am against it in every way, But I'm going to a very big hospital in a big city, I have to drive an hour and a half twice a week to go. I'm only 20 weeks along but I'm high risk due to complications with my twins. My doctor told me that last year there were a high amount of pregnant women that were hospitalized and intubated because of the flu. I don't want that to happen but at the same time, I believe that the shot is full of a lot of stuff that's bad for our bodies and I have some theories myself about it all, so I hate to get it! But I just don't know because of what she said. She said a lot of pregnant women died from it as well. I have to decide by tomorrow when I go back to the hospital. I really don't want to get it but at the same time I worry.
    melimom6

Comment by melimom6 (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I'm pro-vaccination (I've studied microbiology, immunology, and the Flu, and I'm studying to be a midwife). I don't think many people realize that there's a HUGE difference between a cold and actual FLU. The Flu shot WILL NOT cure or prevent a cold. However, influenza is a potentially fatal disease, particularly for those who are immunocompromised (as you are when you're pregnant). I would highly recommend the flu shot to anyone who is pregnant. The risks associated with the vaccine (or any vaccine) are far less than any risks associated with the disease. We have seen an increase in disease rates due to the lower immunization rates.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:43 PM on Nov. 7, 2010