Short cervix - did you know you had one before you got pregnant?

My new doctor just pointed this out to me, and we were talking about how none of my previous doctors ever mentioned this while I was pregnant (and how it could have led to my son being born premature, esp since the entire pregnancy was A-OK up until my sac ruptured early). She made it sound like ANYONE who checked me should have noticed this and pointed it out to me (and given me options to help prevent a premature birth). I thought my old docs were pretty good, so I was wondering if other women have been told about a short cervix - before or after giving birth.

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 1:52 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No I wasn't told before. I was told when I almost lost my daughter at 21 weeks. I just found out a few months ago that half of my cervix was taken during a procedure and nobody told me. This procedure was done 6 years ago!
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:02 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• it's not something you would know about before pregnancy.
    Your cervix does 2 things when getting ready to birth, it shortens or Effacement and it dilates.
    Some women do experience shortening or effacing cervixes before term, it is not uncommon and usually does not mean anything but it can signal labor is coming. It would be more worrisome of the effacement was accompanied with dilation or in the event you are carrying twins or more or if the effacement continues and does not stop.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:27 AM on Nov. 7, 2010