Freaking hurt. You'd be too I bet, would you?!

I bought my dad a $50 Amazon gift card for some reason a few months ago. He hadn't used it yet as he was trying to decide what to get.

I come to my parents house today and see the gift card print out with an order # attached. I also know that a ton of new toys had just arrived for my nephew. So I match the order # with the box etc and turns out they used the gift card!

The kicker is I point blank nicely ask my mother what dad had purchased with his giftcard and she lies to my face and says he hasn't yet. Says my sis bought the toys. I ask my sis who lies also and says she didn't buy the toys and has no clue how my parents paid. LIAR. The confirmation e-mail went to her inbox.

My mother, busted in the lie, turns around and says I deserve to get lied to because I pry too much. Then she called me idiot & walked away. I am so sad & angry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm so sorry. I would be hurt too. But when giving a gift card I also realize that what it gets spent on is out of my hands. It is totally up to the receiver. That is separate from how you were treated. Again, I am so sorry your family treated you that way.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:24 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• You gave a gift. He can use it any way he chooses. It really is that simple. I don't think it was any of your business to be inquiring how he used his gift. It was his to use, as he saw fit. It's as if you set them up to lie - they felt they needed to lie to you to prevent hurting your feelings. That was a terrible position for them to be in. Sure, they handled it poorly - but they never should have been put in that position.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 10:48 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Wow...sounds like there are some unappreciative people in your family. I would be so pissed!
    tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 3:49 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• well you did give the gift card to your dad and he has the right to do what ever he wants with it eaven giving it to your sister to buy toys to her son-- i know you kind of expected your dad to use it for him but it is what it is-- but it was wrong for your mom and sis to lied to you when they could of just tell you the truth??? where was your dad when all of this happened???
    Genesis29

Answer by Genesis29 at 3:04 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Your mother sounds a bit off. Why would they all lie to your face? I know you are hurt and shouldn't have to put a being treated this way regardless. However, you gave a gift card, and I don't think you should care how it is spent. I have used gift cards the same way your father has, mostly because I like to give more than receiving. Perhaps you should look the other way on this one in regards to your father's behavior. On the other hand I would definately confront your mother on her terrible behavior. She sounds like a total bitch.
    happycboys

Answer by happycboys at 4:11 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Wow that is crazy, they would lie to you like that.For your mom to say that is rude,and disrespectful.I wouldn't be upset that he used the card for your nephew though.Just next time get him something instead of a gift card. Good luck with your family
    bucky77

Answer by bucky77 at 6:22 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I would be angry too.....however the last statement your mom made, rude as it sounds, also sounds like pride to me....like she doesn't want to admit it's the only way they could have afforded to treat your nephew.....still, it's pretty low.
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 7:30 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Next time don't buy him something as impersonal as a gift card. Get him something from the heart or take him out for dinner. Geezs and stop prying so much. What's the real issue here? Your sister getting toys for her son or you being the indirect provider of those toys? Or is there more to this? Does your father have a habit of giving everything you give him away? If so stop giving. But I don't agree you should have been lied too nor called names. Maybe she was trying to protect your feelings in this. It all sounds strange to me.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 1:24 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• next time buy him something you think he needs and dont buy a gift card...easy peasy
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 2:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2010