Do you think women have the right to choose?

Choose how and where they give birth that is.

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 3:00 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well, not as much choice as insurance companies do. I think women should have more choice in their birth experience.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:12 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Yes i do think that women should have a right to choose because it's going to be an experience that your always going to remember so why not be able to choose how you want to remember it!
    ChanellesMommy

Answer by ChanellesMommy at 3:16 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I'm in the UK and it seems we get more choice than you guys due to our health care system...mind you there are still health care professionals here who believe all births should be im hospital and alot of our midwife led units are slowly closing down due to funding issues BUT the guidelines for birth here are that women should have the right to choose where to give birth whether that be home, hospital or a birthing unit.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 3:43 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I think a woman should have the right to give birth how she wants to as long as there isn't a medical problem that will put her or the baby's life at risk.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 4:49 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Im gonna have to agree with ladyambition as long as there is no medical problems with mommy or baby it should be up to the mom how she wants to give birth
    asweet_gurl04

Answer by asweet_gurl04 at 7:38 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Yes its most important experience of your life as long as its safe for mom and baby
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 9:04 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• hahaa, nice. I was ready to come in with my fighting gloves on!

and YES! As a doula who has witnessed the good and bad of a hospital - and of how amazing home birth can be (even though that too sometimes goes wrong) - I think that women need to open up and examine their options more clearly and make the decision that is best for THEM.

I also believe education is everything. A woman can only actually make a true decision once she is fully informed.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 10:02 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Some do.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 1:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Her body, her choice.

And I agree that it's unfair that insurance companies often dictate options.

[Whether mom-baby are "in danger" or not, she SHOULD decide for herself.]

When you learn about the corrupt (American) maternity system, you can see that the health & safety of women & babies are not priority. Money is.
    So many women hear that they "must" consent to X or Y... but this may not be true. And the reasoning might not actually be for her health after all.

I REALLY feel that women need to make THEIR OWN decisions.
    Preferably informed ones, of course!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Absolutely!

I find it extrememly sad that so many women check ownership to their body at the hospital doors.

Me? I'm more of a natural pregnancy and birth with as little intervention as possible kind of girl. :)
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 2:16 AM on Nov. 8, 2010