What are some of the best money saving tips you have?

momof2redhedz

Asked by momof2redhedz at 4:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• Caulk up windows and doors, plastic them up as well. Hang laundry, even inside instead of using the dryer, make your own cleaners and laundry detergent (a $3.50 batch of homemade laundry detergent will do over 250 loads, lasts me 6 months), grow a vegetable garden and shop at local farmers markets, use less meat in meals and bulk the meal up with veggies, put tv's dvd players, cell phone charges, computer and printers on power strips and turn the strips off at night....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:45 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• When grocery shopping, I make a list and stick to it. If it's not on the list, it doesn't get put in the cart. Unless it's something I absolutely need and forgot to put on the list. I also plan some meals around what type of meat is on sale. Use coupons when you have them, and don't be afraid to go to more than one place if you need to. I used to go to Wal-mart for absolutely everything I could, then get the stuff I couldn't (fresh produce and meat) from a regular grocery store. Now I live in a town where Super Wal-Mart is the regular grocery store. My husband and I also keep a running tab on the white board in our kitchen. Anything we spend gets deducted from the total on the board. It gives us a physical number that we can see frequently without having to go online or to a bank, and it also makes us think twice about buying things we may not need. "If I buy this, I'll have to take it out of our total. Is it worth it?"
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:02 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I also don't buy what's not on the grocery list - same goes for Wal-Mart - that is usually my downfall - going to Wal-Mart without a list !!!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 10:23 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Don't buy meats where each person get a serving, like pork chops, or chicken breasts. Cut them into slices or chunks, and you can get by with less by adding it to rice or pasta. Meat is a big expense, and we all eat more than we need. I save out one or two breasts from a package and put those in the freezer for another meal. Add a couple of vegetables for every meal. Don't buy anything processed, or cut up. Do your own. Saves a lot. Also have breakfast for dinner, like pancakes or omelettes or biscuits and gravy. Kids love it and it saves money.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:35 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Don't buy processed and packaged foods, recycle (in our community recycling is free, but gargage costs)...make cheap cleaning supplies....use 10 watt light bulbs where appropriate, insulated the house., stay home more often...quit gym and excercise through housework (scrubbing floors, etc.)....make snacks from scratch, keeping cost of ingredients in mind...in cooking, lots of filling and nutritious soups and stews in the winter (lots of lentils in the cooking)....shop at thrift shops, and trade with friends for clothing, as well as yard sales in the neighborhood (I don't do a lot of driving for yard sales because of the price of gas)...shop sales only if we need something and only buy it if it is something we need now...it is easy wasting money buying things you "might" need later. tell my children's school "no" a lot.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:16 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I love thrift stores! Our local one has everything half off once and month and I am always there! I cover windows with plastic when it is cold, I make sure all lights are off when not in use, I also bought the spiral energy efficent light bulbs which are more expensive to buy but my electric bill has went down and I havn't replaced a bulb in 3 months which i normal replace about every 3 weeks
    TiffanyPlew

Answer by TiffanyPlew at 4:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelets with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

cont

• Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie (you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.
    Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons; eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money; they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, easy, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• havent figured out any. :(
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 7:21 AM on Nov. 7, 2010