groceries or bills

If you had to choose between groceries and bills what would you do. My husband griped at me because I spent 250 on groceries for 2 weeks, including cleaning products. This is for a family of 5. Said i should do the bills first and then groceries. If I would have done the bills first, we wouldn't had anything left. I just started a job, so I will gat a check in two weeks to pay for the bills I skipped. Have you ever been in my position? If not, what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• I am in your position where both my DH and I work full time and still don't make enough for our bills (yes I know its our fault for having so many, but we racked up a bunch of debt when the economy turned and we were both unemployed). So, weekly when we get paid, we get gas (my DH has to fill up weekly, but luckily I only have to fill up every other week since I have a larger gas tank) and then we get groceries for the week. What ever money is left over, we pay what bills we can for that week. We have to have gas to get back and forth to work and food is a necessity. Now, I think you did a great job, $250 for 2 weeks for a family of 5! I am like you, buying food on sale, clipping coupons, buy generic food.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 7:15 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I'd get what I HAD to get and get by with cleaners from home like vinegar & water.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:49 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I paid my bills first, then utilized free meals at community centers (twice a week), a food pantry, and I cleaned out my own cupboards to find meals in there. Yes, we've been there, done that.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• half and half. Pay a bill half way and then get the essentials. Get cleaning products from dollar store and gl , it worked for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:23 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• yea i would pay the essentials bills first, home & car, electricity, etc..... maybe not all on 1 paycheck, but those HAVE to be paid. You CAN get by eating mac & Cheese and hotdogs... or just ground beef, cause they are cheaper.. its not the healthiest but you have to have lights and a house ya know? Pay the essential bills and buy the essential groceries, (milk, eggs, bread, etc) I understand trust me, i hate the "in between" paydays, lol GL
    bina101679

Answer by bina101679 at 7:12 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I pay my bills first. Only cause I fear if I get behind I wont be able to catch up. I think what u did was fine seems how u have a pay check coming in soon. Maybe next time not get the cleaning supplies

kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 7:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Paying the essential bills if very important or else you’ll run into problems. Either ruin credit or get utilities cut off and paying the fees to turn back on. Skip on cleaning product for now because you can work around that. Make the food stretch as other have mentioned.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:06 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• You have to buy groceries first. Otherwise, what would you eat? I have cut down my bills a lot lately. I buy storebrand whenever possible. I would probably have put off buying cleaners, or just one bottle of the cheapest. I stretch things further now.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:25 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Living on ONE paycheck...and paycheck-to-paycheck, this is always a choice with me. I buy what's necessary for my kids to eat....then I pay essential bills. Me, I come last....if there's $ left over at the end of the month, I'll buy a few things *I* like to eat, and maybe some "better" cleaning products. But my children get taken care of first...food/housing/essentials.

If it came down to food, and paying a bill due NOW two weeks late, I'd call the creditor and let them know the payment would be made within the next two weeks. That way I have the money to buy food and, if anything's left over, it goes into savings so when my next check comes in, I don't have to come up with ALL of a bill's payment, some is already there.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 10:31 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• We used to stretch the bills out as long as we could based on the due dates. We'd send the payment in as late as possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Nov. 7, 2010