How to deal with a relative if you no longer talk, or get along?

My cousin flipped out on me about 4 months ago. Telling me and DF to watch our backs and threatening us, so we went to the cops. We have 2 children (7 and at the time a newborn). No one was arressted, just warned to knock it off(harassment and terroristic threats charges if they contacted us again). I havent seen her or talked to her since, she really crossed the line, I wish I never had to see her or talk to her again, but the Holidays are coming up, so i know I will have too. So I was just wondering how everyone deals with relatives you cant stand, or dont get along with, when you have to be in the same room as them?

endurablemist

Asked by endurablemist at 6:32 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• good question, if it were me I'd still go cause you don't want her to think your afraid. i would go but ignore her. I'm sure it's gonna be uncomfortalble for you and her both but you weren't in the wrong so, keep your head up high and act like it doesn't bother you.Maybe you'll get lucky and she won't show!!! Just don't give her the satisfaction of ruining your holliday, Good luck!!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:46 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Say hi and keep on moving. Keep your distance and do not instigate anything.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 6:42 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Go but ignore her!!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:48 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Every family must have 1 psycho cousin in them! I had a similar situation, but it did not get to a violent level- just ugly heated words. Eventually, you just learn to tolerate their existence & be civil. Hopefully he/she will behave w/ a roomfull of other relatives. (esp. little ones trying to enjoy the holidays) Good luck
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:24 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I would probably just make other plans and not go. It doesn't sound like it would be much fun, and the holidays should be fun..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I would make other plans if this person were to be there.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 8:31 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• You either go and play nice or you choose not to go at all. The rest of the family doesn't need the drama, and it wouldn't be right to ruin it for them.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 10:44 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I would make it very clear to many family members that I planned to attend. This might get back to her and she might decide not to go. In either case, I would still go, hold my head up and IGNORE her. If she tries to start anything, ignore her. She will make herself look like an ass if she does - in which case, if you are ignoring her, the family will probably back you up.

Don't let her childish crap ruin the holidays for you and your family.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:35 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• If you have to be in her presence just say hello and socialize with the others. You might want to think of different ways to celebrate with the other family members for this year. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:49 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Be polite but that is it.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 1:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2010