Would you be worried?

My 18 year old son came home late last nignt (I'm not sure what time because I was asleep), when I went to check on him this morning he wasn't in his room, so I checked the basement and he was asleep down there. I found an almost empty bottle of gin and a bottle of tonic water on the pool table. I've never seen him drink or ever heard about him drinking before. I know teens his age drink, but what concerns is that he was alone and that he just started driving. Now I'm going to worry every weekend when he takes the care out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I would be a little worried too.Have you talked to him?maybe he waited till he got home to drink.
    bucky77

Answer by bucky77 at 6:53 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• First thing I'd do is confront him immediatly, he problably will have the worst hangover ever but I'd make him get up right now! I'd make it very clear this won't happen again,he's not of age to drink not to mention he could have been "killed or killed someone else!" He wouldn't be driving for a while either! Better to addess the situation now then later when something terrible happens, BE TOUGH MOM!!!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:55 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Yep- I agree w/ anichols1! Wake his a$$ up now & ask him what made him think it'd be okay to come home, get into YOUR liquor & help himself!? After that, I'd assign a butt-load of chores to teach a lesson & to work off the cost of replacing what he drank!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:18 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I would be concern. Try to find out what is happening in his life that he has to resort to alcohol at his age and passed out. Drink and drive don’t mix, it just takes one stupid mistake to ruin his life as well someone’s life if driving. If he is driving the family car take away the keys.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:31 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Talk to him and get all the facts. Like mentioned earlier he may have waited until he got home to drink. And he must have a pretty decent relationship with you if he felt comfortable to do it at home. So you both get points for that. Then you have to deal with the legal aspect of it all, driving while drunk, etc. Make sure he knows he can call you NO MATTER WHAT if he is ever out and can not drive. No questions asked until the next day at home. Have your conversations only when he is sober. It needs to sink in. Stay calm. This age is really tough because you do not have complete control over them. But if you have an honest, open, relationship they will still communicate with you and you will get through it. We have to teach our kids the best we can and eventually cross our fingers and hope for the best when they are out in the world. We got through those years and are thankful the screw ups were manageable. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:31 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• WOW this is hard . I am dealing with the same thing. They are to the legal world adults. Yet as we know they are so not. I would be worried and I told my son , Hes not allowed to drive my car any more. He don't have his own cause he wont get a job. I cant be there at all times to stop him , and i wont help him get where hes going either

kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 7:32 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Don't let him use your vehicles anymore and possibly give him a couple of weeks to leave your residence. What people need to remember here is that he IS an adult. HE IS 18!! Let him fend for himself - but drinking and driving will NOT be tolerated in ANY WAY!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:41 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Actually, he's not an adult. It is illegal for anyone under 21 to drink, and you don't have to tolerate it going on in your house, or ever in your car! If he wants to break the law, he can get his own place, his own car, and pay the price that will come. Also, I would seriously have another adult talk to him about why he is drinking in the first place. My son is 35 years old, and dying because of alcohol. And there are more and more young adults with Renal Failure because they started drinking early. It is an epidemic that is taking over our country and taking the promise away from our youth. I'll pray for you Mom, and for your son!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I would talk to him about the situation. Be up front and honest about your concern that he is drinking and driving. I had my son sign a pledge that he would not drink and drive. Our legal age for drinking is 21, so I would wonder how an 18 year old got a bottle of gin. Good luck.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 1:06 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Yes. He could have gotten alcohol poisioning and died. He could have gotten into an accident and YOU would have been responsible because he used your car. Talk to him about how getting a DUI as an UNDERAGE person will affect his life. He is drinking illegally and I would be wondering where he got his alcohol. If he continued to drink and drive, I would kick him out. You cannot make him stop, he has to want to do that for himself.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 7, 2010