What age should a child stop believing in Santa?

Is there a certain age that you should tell your kids or do you wait until they figure it out on their own?

Shaylyn318

Asked by Shaylyn318 at 7:44 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Holidays

• My son started asking around 5 , I think cause of the older kids. I kept him believing as long as i could . By almost 7 he says mom I know now he s not real.... Broke my heart.

kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 7:47 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I believe you have to do what you think is best. My older children know and they are 12 and 14. I did wait for them to come to me and this is what I told them. "While it is true that daddy and I buy the gifts the meaning of Christmas is more then just getting presents." I do think my children did not really know so when they first started talking about it one of them said "there is no way you and dad would pay for all that stuff we get." It was very cute. I think it is also a little sad when your kids do find out.

For me I would let them believe as long as they do believe, I would not just tell them.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:50 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• this breaks my heart.....i struggle with this also....my daughter is 11 and still believes strongly....she has mild autism and I know I need to tell her because she already gets made fun of for so much...my family has begged me not to spoil it for her, but now i think i left it too long....when she finds out, she will think of me as a liar....in some ways i wish i never did the santa thing....i wish i followed my heart and didn't go in for all that stuff...just telling her the stories were all fictional from the beginning....still celebrate, but we would have been celebrating for the right reasons ...know what i mean? sorry, this is a sensitive thing for me, lol....i truly struggle with what to do with this !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 7:51 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I don't think that there is a magic number to when they stop believing but when they do it's sad. I know with ollder ones youdon't want them to say anything to their younger siblings and ruin it for them. I was 15 still getting from Santa because my sister is 5 years younger then me. So far, I think my 8 year old has no idea but I'll bet it's coming and then I think I'll still do the Santa thing but as a surprise type thing not what we do now.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:54 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My son is 10 and my daughter is 6. My son is starting to wonder, and last year I thought would be the last year he believed. The other day we were talking, and he said he still believes but if he friends ask than he tells them no.
    mrs.jodi

Answer by mrs.jodi at 8:28 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I'm so glad my kids played along with me for the longest.Tongue3

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:34 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I waited until mine finally said..."Mom, I know..you can stop playing now." LOL He was 10 or 11.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:50 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• my oldest stopped believing around 7years old but he keeps up the charade for his five year old sister and his baby brother LOL!!!
    mikenjess

Answer by mikenjess at 9:36 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I don't think you should ever stop believing because Santa is part of the magic of Christmas. However, I think our son figured it out around 10 ... maybe before that.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:44 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• you might as well let him know before he goes into kindergarden, cause some other kid will. Mine is 3 almost 4 and she has never believed in santa. Last year was the first year I tried and she was so scared of him at the mal, I didn't know what to do. My cousin's daughter, who was then 4 told her 'don't worry Abby, Santa isn't real, it's just a story parents tell stupid children to get them to behave". Not the way I would have chosen but at least she wasn't scared anymore.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 7, 2010