When is enough, a enough on medications and our kids

My son 9, Has adhd. He had a really bad day at school, Got suspended for a week. now the doctors wants to add a new medication. I don't know anymore cause , how do we know hes not just a boy, They are loud and like to be rowdy. He only seems to act up when he is pressured. Like they are wanting him to finish his work maybe has 2 more questions and he wants a break. I don't think that's medication issues , i think that's him trying to win a power struggle.

kileighsmommie

Asked by kileighsmommie at 8:12 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Health

• ADD and ADHD are real disorders, and people who have them do need help. With that said, I think they are being grossly over diagnosed in children these days. I think teachers and doctors are pressuring parents to drug their kids to make the classrooms more manageable. You know your son, and you need to advocate for him. If you feel he is being pressured too hard in the classroom, stand up and say something. If you feel he doesn't need the medication, take him off it. Take him to several doctors, and have evaluated, to see if he does have the disorder, or if he's just displaying normal childhood behaviors. (However, I don't think most people can recognize normal childhood behavior these days.)

My son is six, and I home-school, because I know he is a normal, hyper, talkative, energetic, curious, easily distracted, boy. He would not do well in a classroom setting, and so I refuse to put him in one. But he is not ADHD.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:52 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Personally, I think doctors solutions to kids these days...kids w/minds of their own is to medicate them. I think that some children and adults truly do need medication & benefit from it. I think kids need to play outside more and fun and get their energy out, NOT medication.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 8:15 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Try a 3 week period without medication. See how it goes. My son is also medicated for ADD. We switched meds last year to Vyvanse. His grades went up dramatically. There is real improvement.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:19 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Try changing his diet if you have not already. Look into the Feingold Diet.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 8:25 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Being discipline home and in school should be consistence. Finishing a task will have its rewards. That’s the way it is when we’re adults as to going to work and finishing and then coming home to relax or do whatever. You are preparing your son for adulthood. Try to work with him in explaining on finishing school work comes first and then comes play time. Tell him that over and over again until he gets it.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:30 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Talk to your Dr
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:16 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I agree with the first poster. Everything is meds. For people that really have it, then yes medication. I know somebody that asked there peds doctor and she said they really can not test them until age 5 or 6 to be accurate enough. Boys are going to be boys and yes they do have to listen and the same with the girls. There is a difference between the boys and girls. I see it with my sisters little boy who is 5 and wants to do what he wants to. For example he must sit at circle time, well he does not want to. My sister has talked to the teacher and they are working on this issue. Again listening to somebody else besides there mother and farther is a learning cycle for the child.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 9:03 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• when my son was in first grade he a tough time staying in his seat and listening to the teacher. I took him to a lot of different doctors because he had ear problems in the past, i tought maybe he was having trouble seeing so i got his eyes checked...when everything came back negative and he was held back even after tutoring and after school tutoring i took him to a psychologist...they said adhd and urged me to put him on meds. i followed there instruction, being a young mother i wasn't quite sure what else to do.Needless to say this was the biggest mistake i have ever made. While i was pregnant with his baby sister he became increasingly violent and the doctors would say he is just under medicated and up his dose or change or add a med. It only made him worse.
    He is ten years old now and in fourth grade and has been med free for two years and is the happiest i have seen him since he started school. I definately do not agree
    mikenjess

Answer by mikenjess at 9:31 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• with them giving these children psych meds. that was the worst experience of my life...

Ogh and just so you know, it was not an attention problem my son is mildly dislexic and a lot of trouble reading so he would get frustrated and shut down. but with the right help at school and at home he is just fine!!!
    mikenjess

Answer by mikenjess at 9:33 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• SERIOUSLY?!? Your son was suspended for a week for being a typical 9 yr old? WOW I am shocked at nothing from now on! This is ridiculous! He's a boy! A 9 yr old! Yes, so maybe he has some room to improve on the order of things, but suspending him and then drugging him into a stupor is NOT THE ANSWER!! Stand up for him momma! I know you will! I would take him out of school and home school him - but I know that's not for everyone. I bet he'd learn a lot more at home than at school!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:30 AM on Nov. 7, 2010