what kind of chores do you have your 3 and 4 1/2 yr old going? how do you reward them?

my son is 4 1/2 and my daughter is 3. i would like to have them start doing some chores to help them get used to doing them and to teach them responsibility. any ideas on how to get them started, which ones for them to do and how do you reward them?

jkmommy2

Asked by jkmommy2 at 8:05 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well they are young i would get them started with straightening up their rooms and picking up their toys when they are done with them
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I started my daughter with little chores right before she turned 4. She could make her bed (sort of, she tries), she empties that little trash cans in the house, she feeds the cat, she puts the dirty clothes in the laundry room, and she has to pick up her toys. I have a chore chart for her and I put a sticker on each chore, each day, that she accomplishes. If she does at least 75% of her chores, I put a dollar in her piggy bank ($1 a week). Her true reward is seeing all the stickers on the chart, it shows her that she accomplished something and she knows how proud mommy is of her. My son is 3 now, he will clean up his toys, but some of the other stuff is beyond his attention span.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Here is a great website that I use to make printable chore charts for my kids....they also help you pick out age appropriate chores and help you find a reward system that works for you.

Childzilla.com

ErinaM

Answer by ErinaM at 1:07 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• my daughter who is 4.5 has always loved helping me with chores..she helps me do laundry, empty the dishwasher, puts the laundry away, vaccuums, sweeps, dusts, cleans up the dogs poop outside, emptys the garbage cans (the little ones) into the big ones...shes awesome..as for rewards..ive never really rewarded her with stuff for helping..i tell her shes an awesome helper..and i give her lots of praise..but for chores i wont reward..when she was younger i rewarded for peeing on the toilet during potty training..and then again for not peein her bedat night...but for chores..nope..i wont!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:52 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• My 3 yr. old and 4 and a half yr. old have to take care of their dirty clothes, brush their teeth, and make sure their bedding is in their bed. they also have to take care of their toys.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 9:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• if your not to picky and dont have alot of breakables you could get a duster thing and let them dust my daughter loves to dust! lol and i have her pick up her stuff out of the living room and put her stuff away. she also clears her little table. my daughter just loves to hear GREAT JOB and on payday we get her alittle treat sometimes. she also loves to wipe things so when we were at my MIL we gave her some sanatizing wipes and had her go around and do all the door knobs she loved that! u just gotta watch them make sure they dont rub those wipes on there faces. she helps me gather the laundry too. as long as your not to picky they can do alot of things. u dont want them getting there feelings hurt because they arent doing it up to par with your standards. my daughter is a good helper though as most 3-4 year olds are im sure. really there just looking to feel important and that they have accomplished something
    amandap1705

Answer by amandap1705 at 9:09 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My daughter will be 3 at the end of January...she does not have set chores but she loves to help empty the dishwasher and she puts her dirty clothes in her dirty clothes basket. She will help clean up her toys, ettc....
    micjones

Answer by micjones at 2:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My oldest two are 4 and almost 3.

My 4 year old....puts his own dirty clothes in the laundry room, clears his own dishes from the table, scrapes them into the garbage, puts them in the dishwasher, gives the gerbils fresh water every day, clean up part of the toys each evening. Once a week, he helps me clean the cages.

My almost 3 year old...puts his own dirty clothes in the laundry room, clears his own dishes from the table and puts them on the kitchen counter, gives the gerbils fresh food, cleans up part of the toys each evening.

My almost 2 year old...puts his own dirty clothes in the laundry room, puts the soap packet in the dishwasher and starts the dishwasher, cleans up the books each evening (they get tossed on shelves lol)

Rewards...well, none. Everyone has to chip in to help keep the house clean and take care of things. It's part of being a family....helping out.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2008