Should they repeal in the male duck?

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Congress should act quickly, before new members take their seats, to repeal the military's ban on gays serving openly in the military

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:06 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• LOL I was so confused what this had to do with a male duck, I thought it was a term I hadn't heard yet. Yes they should take his advice, they should get as much done in the male duck session lol as they can. Who knows if anything will get done after that?

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:22 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• IDK. I don't have any problem with gays serving in the military, but I don't think it's that easy. I think they have to be prepared for any fall out amongst troops and also having to deal with benefits (mainly for their partners) in states that don't recognize that type of union. I haven't served in the military so I don't know what the best decision is, but regardless if you are for or against, it's not such a clear cut issue. There have to be policies and procedures in place.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:10 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• LOL @ male duck.

I totally support the repeal, and it would be a GREAT use of the lame duck session, however, it needs to be done in a way that the military can work with. I think that may take a little more doing than they can get done in the two months.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:49 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Do you mean "lame duck"?
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• No, I think MORE IMPORTANTLY the LAME DUCK session should focus on the expiring Bush Tax Cuts!! But hey, it's just the LAME economy and LAME unemployment rates we're talking about!! LOL :oP
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:58 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• The MILITARY in general, when polled, says they don't worry about gays in the military and they think DADT is stupid.
    I think it is stupid.
    bigots support DADT. They are afraid of gays, afraid they will "be hit on by a gay". How incredibly dumb.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:31 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I oppose any violation of the civil rights of ducks just on the basis of them being male. Sorry, it's just wrong.

As for the ban, not sure how much they can do - whatever they pass, Obama has to sign, and Obama has never been a true supporter of gay rights, he's just paid lipservice to it when it's convenient. He's had dozens of chances to call the AG's off of appealing decisions or to issue executive orders and every time he's refused. It's why most gay rights groups constantly protest against him at his appearances. He lied to them to get their votes, and they aren't buying his bs anymore. If congress passes anything relating to it, expect a pocket veto.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:42 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• If they repeal it they better have something to replace it with or the law will simply revert back to the previous one...which make it a CRIME.

It isn't as easy as simply repealing. There are hundreds of logistical matters to consider and find solutions for. The military IS working on it. That is one reason they sent out the surveys. You can't make it happen overnight..unless you don't care what you screw up in the process. Leave the emotion out of it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:59 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• They will be focusing on that...They can do more than one thing dear.

***

Oh, you're right. They ARE really good at wasting no time at destroying this country! I meant they should focus on passing those bills that will actually HELP this country pull out of it's tailspin!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Hehe....I was confused...
    ANyway,they should repeal it. That DADT was so hypocritical because most men with a brain and the minimum IQ already know which guy is gay and which guy is straight ... so why pretend? ANd they should be allowed to serve in the Military. It is all so childish.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2010