3G or 4G or no G?

Please speak slowly when answering this question: what does 3G or 4G mean to ME when looking at cell phones, E-readers (like Kindle).....what difference does it make and why would I want the one that costs the most over the ones that don't mention "G" at all?

(wasn't there a technology category for questions a while ago?)

kjrn79

Asked by kjrn79 at 9:15 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• dont really know the answers either but i have a 3G i phone and i love it! my son has a 4G phone and he says its bigger and has video chat but thats the only difference. im shopping for an ereader and it looks like a Kindle is the best way to go. im going to get the "G" newer version because it holds more books and you can also browse the internet for free from it.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 8:59 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I'm not going to be much help, sorry. I believe it has something to do with the speed at which the information gets to you. I have always figured when it comes to my phone, if I can get calls, I'm good. I don't really care how fast they get to me, just that they DO !! And since I don't use my phone to connect to the internet, I doubt it matters a whole lot. I would guess that with the Kindle thingy, the G refers also to the speed at which the books are downloaded. I've also never been much for trading in what already works just fine just because the new thing came out at a higher speed.

Hope you get some better answers that are of more help :-/
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 10:21 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Honestly, I don't know what it means, but I just buy the minimum of what I can use...I have a kindle, but it is one of the older ones, and I like it. It suits me perfectly. I have a cell phone....it is red because I like the color red, has a keyboard for texting which I didn't need but was one of the cheaper phones available to me....it also takes photos. I use it, but don't need the "best", so don't know how anyone else would rate my phone....it was one of the free ones that came with my contract.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• LMAO, I guess this isn't a mom question, it's more a go ask your teenager type question.
    kjrn79

Comment by kjrn79 (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• No clue, Sorry. Best of luck finding your right reply!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 7:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• It means you pay more money just so you can get the internet and e-mail and GPS on your phone. If you don't need that stuff, why pay for it?
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2010