Help !! My 5 and a half year old still sleeps w a pull up on and he is always very wet in the morning!!

OK mommies I need your HELP!! I have 3 boys and my middle guy is having a hard time with sleeping through the night and staying dry. I stop giving him liquids at 6:30pm and he goes to the bathroom before bed and he still wakes up soaked to the gills.. I took him to the DR and she said o we don't worry about bed wetting until they are 10 yrs old. I don't know what to do!!! My other two boys never gave me this problem.. I need some help from other mommies!!
Thanks
Tracie

andersonboys3

Asked by andersonboys3 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my oldest son had the same problem until he was about 7 years old. We put him on a schedule, no drinks after 630pm and a trip to the bathroom before bed and i would set an alarm and wake him up and take him to go potty in the middle of the night after about a month of this he started to do it all on his own and his "night time underwear" would be dry in the morning. I hope this helps he's ten now and we dont have any problems with it anymore
    mikenjess

Answer by mikenjess at 9:24 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Thank you I will try this.. Did your son go back to sleep after you woke him up to go potty?
    Thanks
    Tracie
    andersonboys3

Comment by andersonboys3 (original poster) at 9:27 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I would stop putting a pull up on. This way he will learn that if he has to go in the middle of the night he can get up and go. Make sure you put a night light in the bathroom
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 9:30 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Just like everything else, size and maturity of the bladder differs across individuals. I have 2 friends who each have experienced this issue with their sons, and both of them would wake their children up just before they went to bed to pee - and they started doing it themselves after a while. Good luck.
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 9:36 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• i did that he has a bathroom attached to his room and he is such a deep sleeper that he gets up and is soaking wet... He gets upset he knows he has to go on the potty..
    andersonboys3

Comment by andersonboys3 (original poster) at 9:36 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Thanks lisalu.. That make me feel better that he's not the only one..
    andersonboys3

Comment by andersonboys3 (original poster) at 9:37 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• i agree with SYPHON i told my son that there was no more pull ups and he had to o to the toliet and now he goes on his own
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 9:38 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Try to check him in the morning at diffent times like 6am, 7, 8 early then when he gets up now and see if he is dry if so start getting him up then and see if that helps. Also all kids gain bladder controll at different points in there life. Hopefully this helps....g/l
    Becnfamily

Answer by Becnfamily at 9:44 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Ok here's the thing...if you are cutting off all liquids at 6:30 and having him pee before he goes to bed then I'm guess that he is going in the very early morning hours. No one wants to get out of bed then (I know I don't) to pee so he's relying on the pull up. He is going to wet the bed a few times....which sucks but he will learn to get up and go pee or call you to let you know he has to go. Good Luck!
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 9:54 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Listen to his doc. My girl was in pull ups until she was 8. She is a very very heavy sleeper. She grew out of it. Your boy will too.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:11 AM on Nov. 7, 2010