I'm pumping. Is it normal to get more milk from one breast than the other?

In one pumping session I can get twice as much from my left breast than my right one.

lovingedward

Asked by lovingedward at 9:22 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah, it's normal. My right side always produced more than my left. I have no idea why, but I didn't care as long as I got enough combined!!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:24 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Yes, it's normal. Also please keep in mind that the amount you pump is not an accurate representation of how much you're producing. Your baby is much better at removing milk than a pump will be, so, naturally, your baby will be getting much more than the pump will. The average amount of breast milk most moms are able to get varies between 1/2 an ounce to 2 ounces total (from both breasts) in one pumping session. So if you're pumping more than that every session, awesome! Also keep in mind that your supply varies depending upon the time of day. I was always able to pump more at night than I was in the morning. I just felt I needed to get that out there. I can't tell you how many moms I've seen give up, and when I ask why they say things like "my supply is low because I'm only pumping 1/2 an ounce of milk each session" or "I must be drying up because I'm not pumping as much this morning as I did last night..."
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:36 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I was told by my doctor that it was normal I was doing the same thing , my right side gave more.
    Becnfamily

Answer by Becnfamily at 9:38 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Both of my sons always preferred my left breast. I assume because there was more milk production. I actually even gave up on giving them the right one and the left seemed to do the job fine. Although I was lopsided for 8 months.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 9:46 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• It is normal but I have read from many differnt sources that if you pump them evenly then they will produce evenly. That isnt always true or at least not for everyone. My doctor told me to feed at 15 minute intervals on each breast. thats too much for me so I just take turns, right breast first then left breast for the next feeding. It is easy to forget which breast I used last and my right breast usually produces the most milk. So I wouldnt worry too much as long as you are producng enough overall to keep baby fed.
    EmpathyEve

Answer by EmpathyEve at 10:01 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Yes it is. If you are pumping one at a time. I found I leak for my other one well I pumped one. I put a bottle under once and found I lost 1 1/2 to 2 oz that way. But yes even if you pump from both at the same time. You can pump more out of one.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:12 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• yes, i was able to get about 4 ounces off of one and then about 2 off of the other
    mOm2bOyS_nY

Answer by mOm2bOyS_nY at 1:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Yes. When i was nursing and would pump I had that issue as well.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I exclusively pump and I always get about a half an ounce to 2 ounces more out of my left breast than my right.
    MamaNata

Answer by MamaNata at 3:16 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Very, very common.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 12:08 AM on Nov. 9, 2010