Have you ever been so upset with a family member that you decided to stop talking to them?

Did it help? Are you still not speaking? Do you feel better now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• It wasn't so much that I was upset or mad. I just had gotten fed up with the crazy and decided I couldn't keep going around and around with it. I didn't want my children being exposed to someone who was so unpredictable, or thinking that a mother treated people that way. I cut my mother out of my life a little over four years ago. We're all so much healthier without her.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:26 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Yes my alcoholic mother. And I feel better because of it, less stress and no more headaches.
    mummarita

Answer by mummarita at 10:11 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• yep and I have not talked to that Family member for 4 years =)

Never been happier and drama free in my entire life!
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 1:55 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I hadn't spoken to my father in 10 years, then 2 years ago I tried to reestablish contact to find out that nothing has changed. He is still the same person that I stopped talking to before, I was done. I do not plan on trying to talk to him again. So the relationship is finished.

My life is healthier w/o him in it, he is an emotionally unavailable, emotionally abusive, alcoholic, I would never want my kids to think that is the way you are supposed to live your life, or be disappointed by his false promises.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 2:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Yeap. If my family can't respect me and all the do is put me down and ignore me, I don't talk to them. I will never be good enough for the majority of my family memebers and I stopped trying. I could find the cure for cancer and it still would not be enough. I would get, "why didn't you do it sooner?" "There is no way you did that, you aren't too stupid."

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:01 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Yes most of my DH's brother and sisters I do not speak to or visit any more. After his mom died. I found out they where being nice to me only because his mom liked me. Now that she is out of the picture, they are showing their true collars.

Answer by louise2 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• all the damn time gotta few now i'm not effn with lol
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 10:09 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• i get them told first
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 10:10 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Yep. I've done it to many different family members. We eventually resolve our differences, but it works while the "silent treatment" is in effect. I don't talk with one of my aunts on a regular basis right now, because she crossed the line a while back. I'm civil to her and when she speaks to me I speak to her, but I prefer not to hold a conversation with her. She and I have had our differences in the past and that's been an issue.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:18 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I won't say I 'got up set" but my sister is a very toxic person. She blames all her problems on everyone around her yet they are all of her own making. She is also very spiteful. When she gets mad she gets really mean and purposely tries to hurt people. I got tired of dealing with it and didn't want my kids around that kind of behavior so I stopped talking to her.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 7, 2010