Smoking

Hi everyone. I just found out yesterday that I am 4 weeks pregnant. I am due on July 17th, 2011. What is the best way to stop smoking? Everyone says that if you cold turkey it you increase your risks of having a miscarriage. And I know that most people say slow down. So if that is correct how many cigs should I go down to a day and when should I be completely stopped?
Thanks for your help. That was the only thing left on my list of things to do....stop smoking. Everything else is already taken care of and I want to be sure that I have a happy, healthy baby.

lc20101782

Asked by lc20101782 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was smoking about a half a pack a day when I found out that i was pregnant. DH would give me 4 smokes a day then we would share one at night after dinner. Then every week it would get dropped down by one then they were gone.It only took a month to quit and it wasnt hard when its dropped that slowley. Good luck and hope you find something that helps you quit.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:28 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• for me it was easy, i would think about exactly what i was doing to the baby every time i was outside smoking, and it litterally made me sick. i was able to quit in like a week. good luck, it is such a hard thing to do.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 10:46 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• When I found out I cut down a lot and then after a month I had quit completely!

TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• i found out that i am 5 weeks pregnant a few days ago. i am about a pack and a half a day smoker my body is naturally weening me off cigarattes by making me naseaous or by making me cough till i gag. i am just trying to pay attention to the signs my body is giving me and letting it quit on its own.
    babymsav

Answer by babymsav at 12:56 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Make yourself a goal of being done within 1-2 weeks and reduce every day. however much you are smoking now, smoke two less...tomorrow smoke 1 or 2 less than that and so on.

If you want to, you will. Have something small (an amethyst worry stone is EXCELLENT for this) to hold onto in your hand and play with that when you "want" for a smoke. Think about the reasons you want to quit and how much better off you and your baby will be.

Because you are making this positive choice for yourself and your life, you are not only protecting their heatlh, you are also reducing the chances that your child will smoke, too. It's great!
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 5:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Thanks for the advice everyone. If I can smoke an entire cigarette without gaging I make sure that I slow myself down. I was out today for 6 hours and couldn't smoke because of where we were and didn't think or even crave a cigarette. So I think that maybe I'm not giving myself enough credit. It wasn't until earlier that I got the positive blood test that I am pregnant and somehow it changed how I feel about smoking. I have a feeling by next weekend same time I will have quit completely.
    lc20101782

Comment by lc20101782 (original poster) at 7:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2010