I need some advice...

My ds is almost 5 and i've been working soooo hard to try to get him potty trained!! Normally he's been doing ok, but he'll sometimes rather sit and play and go in his pants rather than tell me and sit on the potty! I gave him ONE chance and said the next time he did that he'd be put in time out.. he did it again and I put him in time out! He's clearly very upset now but I
felt like I had to follow through or he would walk all over me! It's sooo not easy for me to discipline, that's dh's specialty! I feel like I did the right thing, but did I push it by putting him in timeout? I'm sooo desperate to get him trained!!!

newmom28

Asked by newmom28 at 10:24 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Some times when you know your child has not went to the toilet in a while and you know he has a tendency to wet his pant. You should just remind him, "Go to the bathroom _____". I think a lot of kid get to playing and do not want to stop and go to the toilet.

Answer by louise2 at 10:29 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• It was good you followed through on what you said. He knew if he did it again he would get a time out. You didnt do anything wrong.

As far a spotty training- I dont know how your going about potty training but whats worked for me is just putting the child on the potty ever 25-30 mins and then letting them sit there for 10 mins with a toy or some books. I hardly had to clean up any accidents doing it this way.

Good luck!!
    Whitesoxcutie

Answer by Whitesoxcutie at 10:35 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I think you did the right thing....If he knows how to go potty on the potty and usualy tells you unless he is playing then i would have put him in time out as well. He knows better....Hope you find something that works...Like PP said try reminding him every once in a while to go to the bathroom...Thats what my cousin had to do with both of her sons.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:37 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Thanks for all the feedback! I don't feel as horrible now! Potty training is tough!!!
    newmom28

Comment by newmom28 (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• i think u did the right thin..my sn is 3 and he uses the toilet just to pee and poops  in his pull -up...

honesty33

Answer by honesty33 at 1:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2010