daughters b-day

My husband is mad at me. We took my daughter to use her gift card at a dept. store. He wanted her to use it for clothes, which she really needs. She was going to and changed her mind and got a toy. He got mad and said I am the parent that I should act like it. I'm sorry I'm not going to "make" my daughter use her b-day card on clothes if she doesn't want to. Am I wrong?

arenad

Asked by arenad at 10:51 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Shopping

• the gift was about her.....yes it would have been nice if she had purchased things she needed but in reality kids of any age will get what they want over what they need......your DH is acting like a child....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:03 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• You are not wrong. It was HER birthday gift card, and she should be able to use it as she pleases. He acted like a child IMO.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I agree with Cara124
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 1:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I believe that children should spend money earned on things that they need and want... Maybe 1/2 and 1/2... But money that they are given (like birthday money) should be like a bonus... It should be able to be spent on things that they want... That's the idea of the gift card. If she had been asked what she wanted and they bought her the toy he wouldn't have been angry... So why get angry if she used the gift card to buy that same thing...?
    KarenJim

Answer by KarenJim at 5:06 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• He should buy her clothes if she needs them and her birthday money was for her.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 8:04 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I agree that if she needed clothes, they either should have been bought for her OR give her a gift certificate to a store that ONLY sells clothes....can't go wrong there ;). But I guess a lot of it depends on how old the child is...you can't expect a young child to make choices about what she needs versus wants.
    JJsMoMMy519

Answer by JJsMoMMy519 at 9:42 AM on Nov. 8, 2010