How do you keep your kids alcohol/drug/sex free?

My daughter's still a preschooler, but any ideas would be helpful for when she gets older.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 10:53 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't really plan to. I prefer instead to make sure they are educated on these subjects fully and from a young age... Even at 3 & 4 my children have a basic understanding of sex & alcohol, drugs will be coming soon... We all have to make out own choices in life, and that includes children and teens. It's impossible for a parent to keep a kid "free" only the child/teen can do that. Even the parents who have strict beliefs about such things can have children which walk down the wrong path. For me, I don't see sex as a bad thing as long as it's done safely, so I don't see a reason to discourage it. As for drugs and alcohol, I would be very hypocritical to expect my children to never try such things, I do however expect that if they do such things they do them in my home, where I know they are safe. Again, it's education about these things which will enable children/teens to make the right choices for them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:01 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Tell them where u stand, what the consequences are, yours and the laws, if u are against it, don't do it in front of them! you will show them the standard of excellence! and most of all, let them make their own decisions, and support them. they are more likely to rebel if u try to hard to shelter them.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 11:17 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Education, involvement and communication. My kids are both grown now and we did hit a few rough patches, but we stuck together and got through them. One big piece of advice, seek professional help!!!if you find yourself in a situation that is even the slightest bit overwhelming seek out help.Do not allow the fear of some kind of social fuxpau stop you from doing what is best for you and your family.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:09 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Plan to explain it all to them. What is right and wrong. But not shove it down their throat. I have a friend that did that with her kids. She has 2 boys and a girl. The 16 year old is pregnant. She just walked in on the 14 and 17 year old boys doing drugs in her house. I just think too much isn't good either, they just rebel.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:09 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• i would tell her about everything and explain y they are bad and tell her the rules and the laws and then make sure we are involved in her life but not to over baring! and just hope for the best! if we ever find out about her doing drugs or drinking or sex we would talk about it and if she needs to be punished she will be! i would never punish her for sex tho! i would just buy condoms and get her on birth control and hope she makes the right choices! wow i hate thinking about this my DD is only 9 months old! lol!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Communication.....build a relationship of respect with your child.....don't try to be their friend, be their parent instead. Don't think of being their parent as being the enemy either.....I know that during the teen years keeping them very active and busy is as important as reinforcing your values.....sports and a job are good.....large allowance and their own car as a gift, not so good, in my opinion....too much time on their hands...giving them everything they want, etc.....is doing them no favors.....there is no special time to demand they respect you.......it must happen from the beginning.......also, you setting the example of living your values, even when they disagree with you is important, too....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• The main thing.. LET them have their expiriences, dont lock them up somewhere, bc if u do that they will go crazy when they get out on their own.. I know a girl like that, she is like 20 and her parents NEVER let her out of the house, nvr had a bf, never been anywhere or expirienced anything... sad! And she is the most... well lets just say, she wants ALOT of male attn, even from her own family.. it's disgusting. She really has problems, and the parents think they have done good "Protecting her" UGH! But idk, you have to set boundaries for sure... just find a happy medium.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 12:52 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Be up in her business 24/7.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:16 AM on Nov. 7, 2010