Is there re-cycling in your community?

What do you recycle?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 11:17 AM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Yes, and our recycling company takes literally EVERYTHING left at the curb--including furniture, carpet and large appliances! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:34 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• yes, we have a big can, the size of a trash bin that the city picks up weekly.
    We recycle: all cans, cardboard, junk mail, clean aluminum foil, packing material, newspapers, the tubes inside the paper towels....we get so much junk mail, esp this time of year (elections included) that we fill the can at least 3/4 every week. We have trouble the weeks we might forget to put it out.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Recycling is mandatory in our town.  We have a large blue garbage can for it and a small bin for glass which has to be separated.  We recycle our soda cans and bottles, carboard boxes, paper, cans, glass bottles & jars.  Everything has to be rinsed out first and can't have any food on it.  We usually have more recycling than garbage.  We're actually going to change it so they pick up our trash every other week or switch to a 1/2 size garbage can because we only have like 2-3 bags of garbage a week (even with 7 people in the family) but we tend to fill up the recycling bin (which gets picked up every other week).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:43 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• We have recycling pick up - we have two small bins and actually now need a 3rd bin. We recycle all paper (including newspaper, magazines,and junkmail), aluminum, glass,steel, cardboard, and numbers 1 and 2 plastics
    It gets picked up every Monday.

Now our trash takes a sticker per can at $2.50 a sticker for pick up.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• We have a recycling pick up every week.  We recycle glass, paper, cans and plastic.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:20 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Yes every Thursday they pick it up. I recycle everything except food. If I had a compost bin I would probably recycle all my fruits and veggie scraps. I have more recycling bins that trash cans.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:20 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Yes, and everyting I can think of.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• There is a large recycling center in town you can bring your trash there too they have trucks that run that to the landfill. We have 6 large bins we put our recyclables in and we have a compost pile in the very back of our property so we only have 1 bag of trash per week. I take the one bag of trash to the center and they charge you by the weight I usually pay 40 cents to dispose of it there. Saves us 20 bucks since we don't have trash service now. We go on Saturday mornings and it takes 5 minutes to load the truck and 15 minutes to drop everything off so not to bad.
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 11:25 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• No. We have tried to get a program started, but the borough committee won't sign on, they said it's to expensive and not worth it. If we want to recycle we have to load up the car and drive 2+ hours each way...

I wish it was offered here, but this area is rather set in their ways and it's hard to change things!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:52 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I live in a very small town, we don't even have a garbage service...everybody has to take their own trash to the dump. we do save our cans though. They are hauled to hubby's "shack" and once a year they get taken in
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2010